Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
DB/36: Davies Bros., Chemists of Lampeter
[GB 0212] DB/36Title:
Business records of the Davies Bros., Chemists of LampeterDate(s):
The firm of Davies Bros. Chemists of The Pharmacy, Lampeter, probably dates from the mid-1880s. An advertisement for the business appears in the Lampeter Borough Guide (not dated but c.1904), [MUS/51/1]. In the later Guide to Lampeter (not dated but after 1921) [MUS/51/2], The Pharmacy appears to have been taken over by E.H. James. At some time before 1940 the business became the 449th branch of Boots the Chemist, which it remains to this day.
The business served a large hinterland. Addresses show that prescriptions were issued to people in Llangybi, Llanddewi Brefi, Cellan, Pumpsaint, Llanfair Clydogau, Llanwnen, Silian, Treherbert and Llanybydder.Archival History:
The first surviving prescription book dates from 1887 and is inscribed “Book C”.
The collection consists of eight prescription books, giving details of the prescription prepared (in pharmacists’ Latin abbreviations), the name of the recipient and sometimes the date and the cost. The last volume includes prescriptions made to patients under the newly created National Health Service. Items 3 and 6 may not relate to the Davies’ Lampeter business. Scope and Content:
1. Prescription Book inscribed “Book C”
May 1887-June 1888
2. Davies Brothers Chemists’ Prescription Book, containing prescription numbers 1-2629
3. Prescription Book, containing prescription numbers 1-3995
January 1902-May 1906
4. David Bros. Chemists of Lampeter Prescription Book. Contains prescription numbers 2630 onwards (see 2 above).
The date February 1907 appears near the end of the volume.
5. Davies Bros. Prescription Book
July 1907-June 1911
6. Prescription Book
April 1909-July 1912
[This book may be specifically related to the practice of “Dr. Davies”]
7. Davies Bros. Prescription Book “Book E”
July 1912-June 1921
8. Prescription Book for Boots the Chemist of Lampeter
August 1940-March 1949