Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
Solicitors Deposits: D. H. James, Carmarthen
Acc. 676Ref: D/DJReference:
[GB 0212] D/DJTitle:
Records from D. H. James, Solicitors, Carmarthen.Date(s):
0.026m3Scope and Content:
Deeds of Land and Property in the Parish of Kellan [Cellan], mostly relating to the messuages variously called Tir y Lan La^s, Tuy Evan Thomas Bevan David, Llwyn Evan and others.
1. MORTGAGE IN FEE
1. Evan Rydderch Phillipp of pa. Kellan, yeoman,
2. John Thomas of the same, yeoman.
Of the messuage called Tir y Lan La^s, and of several parcels of land by the names of Y Kae Mawr and Y Llain Wenu, and of land extending in length from the common of Kellan called Y Lan Lâs and the land of John ap Evan, called Kae yr Llyest on the east part thereof, unto the parcels of meadow in the occupation of (1) and John ap Evan, called Chwech ugain llath o wair wrth dir y Baylye, Trygain llath wrth dir ffos y ffîn, and chwech ugain llath o wair wrth dir glan y Nant Cry on the west part (other boundaries given).
2 April 1658
1a. BARGAIN AND SALE
1. John Thomas, p. Kellan, Co. Cardigan, yeoman.
2. Evan Rydderch, p. Kellan, Co. Cardiagan, yeoman.
Messuage by the name of Tir y Baylie, alias Tir Thomas Preese Dio; and one indented deed of Fee Simple conditional, dated 26 October 1657, made and executed with Livery of Seisin by Griffith David, p. Kellan, Gent. to John Thomas, concerning the premises.
29 September 1658
Endorsed with notes concerning ‘The Genealogy of the Baylieuans’ supposedly a family history of the family resident in Baylieu Ychaf and Baylieu Issa, presumably the property (or parts thereof) known as Tir y Baylie, n.d. [contents would suggest mid 1800s]
1. Evan Rydderch Phillipp of pa. Kellan, yeoman.
2. John Thomas of the same, yeoman.
Of all rights etc. in the messuage called Tir y lan la^s, and in two parcels of land called Y Kae Mawr and Y llain wenu, pa. Kellan.
10 November 1666
3-4. MORTGAGE IN FEE (LEASE AND RELEASE)
1. Evan Thomas of pa. Kellan, shoemaker.
2. Evan Griffith of pa. Kellan, tanner.
Of the cottage in which (1) now lives, called Tuy Evan Thomas Bevan David, with one curtilage and one garden and parcels of land adjoining, in pa. Kellan.
7-8 July 1715
5. MARRIAGE SETTLEMENT
1. Anthony Thomas of pa. Kellan, yeoman.
2. Cathrine Jones of the same, widow.
3. Thomas Griffith of the same, gent, and Evan Griffith, gent.
On the marriage of (1) and Martha, daughter of (2).
In consideration of £35 paid by (2) to (1), (1) has granted to (3) for the use of Martha in the event of her surviving (1), all that tenement called Tyr y Lan Laes Ycha, Kae Mawr Ysha; three parcels of arable ground called Keyne Gwnion, Kae'r Lloy, Kae gwayr Ysha; one parcel of ground called Ywern Kae'r Dries, Kae rhwng y ddoy duy; two closes called dy Kaie oddi ar y tûy.
9 February 1726/7
1. John Thomas of Lanlas Issa, pa. Kellan.
2. Anthony Thomas, his brother.
Of all right in the tenement called Llan Las Ycha.
31 May 1727
7. LEASE (RELEASE MISSING)
1. Catherine Rees of pa. Pencarreg, co. Carmarthen, widow and relict of David Rees, decd., and Christmas David of Pencarreg, eldest son of David Rees.
2. Timothy Davies of pa. Pencarreg, gent, and Thomas Jones of Pencarreg, ironmonger.
Of those messuages called Tyr yr Henbant and Esgair billwg, pa. Pencarreg.
1 March 1754
8. LEASE (RELEASE MISSING)
1. Herbert Lloyd of Peterwell, esq.
2. Thomas Morgan of pa. Lampeter Pont Stephen, gent.
Of the tenement called Llwyn Evan and Llyest-y-Bwlch, together with the cottage and
garden called gwar-yr-Allt , all situate in pa. Kellan.
29 September 1757
9-10. LEASE AND RELEASE
1. Elizabeth Lloyd of pa. Kellan, widow.
2. Anthony Thomas of pa. Kellan, shoemaker, and Thomas Evan of pa. Llanvair Cludogeu, shoemaker.
3. Richard Lloyd, son and heir of (1)
4. David, Catherine and Elizabeth Lloyd, other children of (1).
Of all that messuage called Tyr or Tythyn Cae yr onnen, pa. Kellan, and the messuage called Tyr yr Erw Verr, pa. Kellan, and all their appurtenances except the house and garden called Gwaynt Gellan. 1 is to receive £6 annuity or rent charge, and £30 is to be paid to 3 and 4
within two years of the death of 1.
23-24 April 1758
11-12. MORTGAGE IN FEE (LEASE AND RELEASE)
1. Thomas Morgan of Kellan, gent, and Jane, his wife.
2. William Herbert of Llanddewy brevy [Llanddewi Brefi], hosier.
Of the messuage called Llwyn Evan, pa. Kellan, with lands (boundaries specified).
11-12 April 1766
13-14. LEASE AND RELEASE
1. Evan John of pa. Llanihengal rhosycorn [Llanfihangel Rhosycorn], co. Carmarthen, yeoman.
2. Thomas David of pa. Llancrwis [Llan y Crwys], co. Carmarthen, yeoman.
Of a moiety of the cottage where Evan Thomas, late of pa. Kellan, shoemaker, lived, commonly called Tuy Evan Thomas Bevan David, pa. Kellan.
26-27 December 1777
15. FINAL CONCORD
1. William Davies, gent, plaintiff.
2. Thomas Davies, gent, and Annah, his wife, deforciants.
Of messuages etc. in pa. Kellan.
5 April 1784
16. DEED TO DECLARE THE USES OF A FINE
1. Thomas Davies of Kellan, gent, and Annah, his wife.
2. William Davies of Kellan, gent.
All the messuages called Tyrylan laes Ycha, formerly described as Tyrylan laes Ycha, Kae Mawr Ycha; three parcels of arable called Keyne Gwinon, Kaerlloy, Kae Gwayr Ycha; one parcel of moorish ground called Gwern Kaer dries Cae Rhwng yddoy duy; two closes of land called Ykie Oddiar y Tuy.
26 June 1784
17. LEASE (RELEASE MISSING)
1. Thomas Davies of Kellan, gent, and Annah, his wife.
2. Evan Davies of Baylie of the same, gent.
Of the tenement known as Tyr y llan laes Ucha, formerly called Tyr y llan laes Issa Cae Mawr Ucha; three parcels of arable ground called Keyne Gwinon, Kae yr Lion, Kae gwayr Ycha; one parcel of moorish ground called Gwern Cae Yr Dries Cae Rhwng Don, pa. Kellan.
3 January 1785.
of Thomas Morgan of Llwyn Evan, pa. Kellan.
31 December 1788
Probate granted 20 January 1789.
19-20. CONVEYANCE TO MAKE A TENANT TO THE PRECIPE FOR SUFFERING A
1. William Herbert of Llanddewy Brevy , hosier.
2. Jane Morgan of Llwyn Evan, pa. Kellan, widow, devisee named in the last will and testament of Thomas Morgan, late of Llwyn Evan, decd., and Charles Morgan of Lwyn Evan, gent, son of Thomas Morgan.
3. Richard Foley of Haverfordwest , gent.
4. Thomas Johnes of Hafod, esq.
Of the messuage called Llwyn Evan, pa. Kellan.
(recites deeds of 11-12 April 1766, (D/DJ/11-12) and 16 April 1774).
Consideration: £495 2s.
22-23 March 1791
21. MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
1. Charles Morgan of Llwyn Evan, gent, on behalf of himself and his mother, Jane Morgan, widow.
2. Watkin Herbert of Llanddewy Brevy, gent, on behalf of his father, William, gent.
That (1) will by 12 May sell to (2) the messuage known as Llwyn Evan, pa. Kellan.
2 April 1791
22. EXEMPLIFICATION OF A COMMON RECOVERY
1. Thomas Johnes, esq. (demandant)
2. Richard Foley, gent (tenant to the precipe)
3. Jane Morgan, widow.
4. Charles Morgan, gent.
dated 15 April, of two messuages, two cottages, etc. in pa. Kellan.
21 April 1791
DECLARATION by Rees Davies of pa. Llanwenog, concerning legacies under the will of Christmas Davies of Pencarreg, decd.
27 February 1796
DECLARATION by Jeremiah Davies of pa. Llanycrwys, co. Carmarthen, that he received from Watkin Davies, executor of the late Christmas Davies of Kellan, the sum of £10
bequeathed to him under the last will of Christmas Davies.
10 December 1796
25. MORTGAGE (LEASE AND RELEASE) (RELEASE MISSING)
1. Evan Davies of Baylie, pa. Kellan, gent.
2. Thomas Davies of pa. Kellan, gent, and Annah, his wife.
3. John Evans of Glan Nant y^ Coy, pa. Kellan, gent.
from (1) and (2) to (3) of the messuage known as Tyr y llanla^s ycha, formerly called Tiryllanla^s issa Cae mawr issa, three parcels of arable ground called Keyne Gwinon, Kaeyrlloy, Kae Gwairycha; one parcel of moorish ground called Ywern Kaeyrdries Caerhwnyddoydy; and two closes of land called Kaie Oddiary Tuy.
3 July 1797
COPY WILL of William Herbert of Brize Norton, co. Oxford, hosier.
16 January 1799
27-28. LEASE AND RELEASE
1. Thomas Davies of Cayo, co. Carmarthen, farmer, and David Davies, his eldest son and heir.
2. David Thomas of Kellan, farmer.
Of all that messuage called Tyr Evan Thomas Beavan David, otherwise called the Lan, pa. Kellan.
27-28 March 1801
29. MORTGAGE (DEMISE for 500 YEARS)
1. Watkin Herbert of Brize Norton, co. Oxford, horse dealer
2. Joseph Andrews of Bampton, surgeon.
Of all the messuage and malthouse situate in Brize Norton, and all the messuage known as Llwyn Evan in pa. Kellan, late in the occupation of Thorns Morgan, gent.
Consideration: £500 (5%)
11 May 1801
30. LEASE FOR 21 YEARS
1. Daniel Jones of Vedwfawr, parcel of Bettws Leiky [Bettws Leiki] and pa. of Llanddewy Brevy, gent.
2. Evan Jones of Lanlase, pa. Kellan, gent.
Of all the messuage known as Lanlaseycha, pa. Kellan.
Annual rent: £25
Endorsed with schedule of deeds, 1658-1804.
22 October 1803
31. LEASE (RELEASE MISSING)
1. Daniel Jones of pa. Llanddewy Brevy, gent, and Margaret his wife.
2. Jenkin Davies of Parknoyadd, pa. Llanvair Clydogau [Llanfair Clydogau], gent.
of the messuage commonly called Tyr y Llanlais Ucha, formerly called Tyr y llan laes issa Cae Mawr Ucha, three parcles of arable ground called Keyne Gwynion, Kae'r Hoy, Kae Gwayr ucha, one parcel of moorish ground called Y Wern Kae'r dri[ ], Kae rhwng y ddon dy, and two parcels of land called Kae oddiar y Ty, all pa. Kellan.
17 April 1804
SCHEDULE of legal costs incurred by Mr. Watkin Davies with John Price and Son, paid 29 November 1822. With receipt.
19 March 1819 - 20 January 1820
SCHEDULE of legal costs incurred by Mr Watkin Davies. Receipt.
13 January - 7 February 1820
1. David Hughes of Pensengrig, pa. Kellan, farmer.
2. Watkin Davies of Llwynefan, gent.
that (1) and his wife Jane, deed, received from (2) the sum of £100 under the will of Charles Morgan, late of Llwynefan, deed, of which (2) was sole executor.
18 November 1820
DRAFT SCHEDULE of receipts and disbursements. (related to the estate of Watkin Morgan decd.).
Lordship and Manor of Kellan: copy of court presentment that the road leading from Llan Lase ucha to Llanlaseissa and from there to the road leading to the mountain be without obstruction from any person.
Endorsed: Mr Watkin Davies, Llwyn Evan.
30 May 1825
RECEIPT for £50 parcel by David Davies of Llwynevan, pa. Cellan, gent, to his sisters Anne, Jane and Sarah, under the will of their late father, Watkin Davies.
4 March 1840
MEMORANDUM of an agreement between John Healey, on behalf of Hon. Robert John, Lord Carington, and David Davies of Llwyn Evan, to divide a piece of enclosed land in the parish of Cellan.
MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT between David Davies of Llwyn Evan, pa. Cellan, and Evan Davies of Gilfachwen, pa. Llanycrwys, in pursuance of a sale of land on Waun Gellan, bought by Evan Davies from David Davies.
29 May 1858
NOTICES issued to owners, lessees and occupiers of property, in respect of new lines of railway: Llandilo and Teiffi Valley Railway.
a) No. 186a. David Davies, Llwyn Ifan, Cellan.
b) No. 307b. The same.
c) No. 317, William Davies, Constant, Cellan.
d) No. 404, David Davies, Llwyn Ifan.
1 December 1863
e) Letter from David Davies, agreeing to sell his land for the railway, should the Bill of Incorporation be passed in Parliament in the year 1864 or 1865. (14 July 1864)
RECEIPT for £7 5s. 0d. for tithe chargeable on Llwynifan, pa. Kellan.
12 October 1870
COPY WILL of Watkin Herbert of Brize Norton, co. Oxford, horse-dealer. (bequeathes, inter alia, properties in pas Llandewy, Kellan and Llannarth, South Wales).
2 April 1874