Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ADX/1310: Photographs of sailing ships and mariners
[GB 0212] ADX/1310Title:
Photographs of sailing ships and marinersDate(s):
n.d. [Victorian era]Level:
1 fileScope and Content:
Photographs of ships associated with Aberystwyth. Originally mounted on paper album pages (retained).
The photographs were the property of Arthur Sansbury who grew up at Penroc on Aberystwyth seafront and whose father was a partner in the Galloways bookshop. Mr. Sansbury was a keen photographer but the photographs predate him. Their source is not known but many are captioned on reverse by A.J. Lewis.
1. Barque 'Ivanhoe
' under repairs, Aberystwyth
2. Barque 'Hope
' of Aberystwyth. Short history on reverse.
3. Photograph of a painting: Nerissa
of Aberystwyth (but crossed out caption on reverse reads 'believed to be Edith Eleanor
4. Photograph of a painting: Caroline Spooner
'longest ship built at Aberystwyth'
5. The Hope
and the Wellington
at Aberystwyth. 'These ships carried timber from Canada'
6. Photograph of the Harbour Master's seal 'which is kept at our Town Hall, Aberystwyth'
7. Photograph of a painting: Fanny Fothergill
, built Aberystwyth 1865
8. Photograph of a painting: Eastward
9. Ketch 'Jane
', schooner and steamships at Aberaeron. Cut down from a postcard originally sent to Thomas James Waddingham of Hafod Uchtryd.
10. 'Brig Sir Robert MacCleur
McClure] building at Aberystwyth 1880. Tons reg. 178. Code no. 53045'
11. Group of seamen and/or ropemakers 'at Aberystwyth'
12. Photograph of a painting: 'Squaw
' of Aberystwyth, c.1820
13. Photograph of a painting: Quebec
of Aberystwyth ('another old timer') c.1812
14. Brig Jane
15. Outward Bound. Aberystwyth Harbour
16. Schooner Ellen Beatrice
(built at Aberystwyth in 1865, tons reg. 88) in Aberystwyth Harbour.
17. 'Aberystwyth Harbour c.1860'
18. Mounting for the photographs, incl. some of the captions. One photograph was missing; the caption reads: 'Ketch Loreen
sunk at Morringo after grounding on bar; Schooner Rockingham
; SS Mons