Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ADX/422: 'Sycamore House' and other items
Acc. 1120Ref: ADX/422Reference:
[GB 0212] ADX/422Title:
Sale of 'Sycamore House', Aberystwyth lifeboat, and other itemsDate(s):
1889; 1898; c. 1904; 1948; 1951-1952Level:
5 itemsScope and Content
1. Folder labelled 'Important sale of commodious residence known as Sycamore House, Grays Inn Road, Aberystwyth also valuable furniture and effects to be held on the premises'. Contains letters, receipts, description of house and contents and poster advertising sale, to be held on 29 November 1951. The house and contents belonged to Miss Hester Bertha Jones, deceased.
2. Plans and elevations for a kitchen and lavatories hut at rear of 21 Great Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth, for Jo Brennals Esq. Also other miscellaneous papers.
3. Photograph of Talybont by E. O. Jones,
4. Photograph of the crew of Aberystwyth lifeboat, apparently taken after the rescue of the ship Arklow of Nova Scotia 'off Towyn in a fearful storm on the 7th of October 1889'. This print was presented to Capt. Richard Edwards, who is in the photograph. All men are identified.
Crew of Aberystwyth lifeboat
5. Poster produced by John Gibson (son of the editor of the Cambrian News, also called John Gibson) addressing the Aberystwyth electorate complaining that the Borough Council has wasted money on improvements to the promenade rather than developing the harbour.
N.d. but c. 1904.
Poster complaining about Aberystwyth Borough Council