Tudalen Hafan / Home Page

Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
DB/56: Cambrian Railway’s, Vale of Rheidol Light Railway


Acc.1951



Ref: DB/56

Reference: [GB 0212] DB/56
Title: Records of the Cambrian Railway’s, Vale of Rheidol Light Railway
Date(s): 1917-1921
Level: Fonds
Extent: 1 item

Administrative History:
The Vale of Rheidol Light Railway began operating in December 1902, providing transport for passengers and mining goods along the Rheidol valley. Control of the railway passed to the Cambrian Railway Company in 1912, the Great War of 1914-1918 led to a decline in mining use of the line but this was balanced by an increased Tourist interest. In 1923 the Cambrian Railways were absorbed by the Great Western Railway, and goods services ended. Ownership  passed to British Railways in 1948, where it stayed until privatisation in 1989. The Railway is now owned by a charitable trust.

Scope and Content:
Cambrian Railways General Coaching Account for Devil's Bridge Station
Ledger showing monthly passenger traffic and other details (lavatory receipts, picture postcards sold) for Devil's Bridge Station on the Cambrian Railway (Vale of Rheidol) Light Railway
1917-1921
Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting
Admin