Tudalen Hafan / Home Page

Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
Parochial Records, Llangrannog


Acc. 2581



Ref: CPR/LGR

Reference: [GB 0212] CPR/LGR
Title: Llangrannog Parochial Records
Date(s): 1750-2006
Level: Fonds
Extent: 23 items

Archival History:
Llangrannog parochial records numbers 1-3 were deposited at the National Library of Wales in 1984. An Additional deposit was received in September 1993 and is listed below as numbers 4-12. A further deposit was made in June 1996, comprising numbers 13-22
The collection was transferred to Ceredigion Archives in 2010.

Associated Material:
Further records relating to the Pigeonsford Estate and its owners can be found in the ‘Records of the Pigeonsford Estate’ Collection, Ref: PG, held here at Ceredigion Archives.

Scope and Content:
1-3. Tithe records
1. Volume of tithe corn accounts for the parishes of Llangrannog and Llandysiliogogo, 1750-1765, with tithe and other accounts between 1743 and 1764. Hamlets and people listed.

2. Leather bound volume with metal fastenings with tithe corn and cheese accounts for the parishes of Llangrannog, Llandysiliogogo, Betws (Ifan) and Brongwyn, 1769-1787, and at the very front details of a carpenter making a window for the chancel of Penbryn, and at and back of the volume, some account of purchases such as ‘the first newspaper called the Craftsman dated 17 November 178?’, and details of a boy sent to school at Cardigan and Carmarthen; and the dimensions of Mr Jones’s chaise, 29 December 1786. 

3. Leather bound volume with tithe wool, lambs and cheese accounts for the parishes of Llangrannog and Llandysiliogogo, 1781-1788, with tithe and other accounts between 1791 and 1829. At both ends of the volume.

4-11. Registers of Services
4. Llangrannog Church, Saint Carannog, 1893-1906, and St David’s Church (Dewi Sant) Blaencelyn, 1894-1906, with ‘Official Parochial Register’ containing a few entries (summary) of churchwardens’ accounts for 1893 and 1895-1898, numbers confirmed between 1896 and 1904 etc.
5. Llangrannog church, 1906-17, and St David’s Church, 1906-1916
6. Llangrannog church 1917-29, and St David’s church, 1917-1928
7. Llangrannog church, 1929-1939
8. St David’s church, 1929-1960
9. Llangrannog Church, 1940-1948
10. Llangrannog Church, 1948-1958
11. Llangrannog Church, 1958-1970


12. Vestry and Parochial Church Council Minute Book, 1933-1978. Loose papers found inside this have been placed in an envelope. 
Act

13. Manuscript with ‘An Additional Act for Burying in woollen’, 1680-1681

14. Warrant for the arrest of Evan Griffith of Penbryn parish, farmer, reputed father of a bastard child, 8 February 1774.

15-18. Tithe Records
15. Receipt for payment of tithes from Colonel Price of Pigeonsford.

16/1-2. Demand for payment in Llangrannog Schoolroom of the half year’s tithe rent of Pigeonsford, 1877, and a subsequent letter requesting payment. 

17. Envelope containing “An Elegy on the much lamented death of Miss Eliza Price of Pigeonsford”, by the late Rev. William Williams of Pant-y-celyn, 1830. Printed, with verses in English and Welsh. 

18. Agreement between Jenkin Beynon of Pennar in the parish of Llandysiliogogo, and John Lloyd of the Lochtyn Public House in the parish of Llangrannog, to give up a matter of dispute between them to the incumbents of the parishes of Llanarth and Llangrannog, chosen as arbitrators, 21 February 1871. The arbitrators signed an addendum appointing an umpire to settle the certain points of the disagreement. 


19/1-8. Correspondence relating to the refusal of communion to Mary Anne Jones, a servant at Pigeonsford, Newcastle Emlyn, for improper behaviour during Divine Service, by the Vicar of Llangrannog, Josiah Rees, 1857. 


20-21. Restoration of the Church
20. Printed appeal for funds for the restoration of Llangrannog Church as a memorial to the late Mr G. B. J. Jordan of Pigeonsford, with a printed list of subscriptions already received, 1883.

21. Press cuttings reporting the consecration by the Bishop of St David’s of the newly restored Llangrannog Church, with architect’s details about the building. (1885)


22. Duplicate Form dated 1912-1913 for the discontinuation of burials in Llangrannog churchyard. 


23. Registers of Services
23. St David’s Church, Blaencelyn, 1986-2006

Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting
Admin