Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
Parochial Records, Henfynyw
Acc 2581Ref: CPR/HFWReference:
[GB 0212] CPR/HFWTitle:
Henfynyw Parochial recordsDate(s):
31 itemsArchival History:
The first deposit of Henfynyw parochial records were given to the Ceredigion Record Office before being transferred to the National Library of Wales in 1981, and comprises numbers 1-2. Two subsequent deposits were made to the NLW in July 1992 and January 1995. The collection was transferred to Ceredigion Archives in 2010.Associated Material:
For related documents, see the list of Aberaeron parochial records, Acc 2581 CPR/ABE.Scope and Content:1-2. Vestry minute books
1. 1822-1889 including Overseers Accounts and Churchwardens Accounts, and at the back a list of Overseers of the Poor for 1838-1887.
(The Parish Register vol. 1 (see microfilm PR15A) contains vestry minutes for 1779, 1792 1811, 1820 1822 and 1855.)3-6. Miscellaneous volumes and papers
(see also 8-10, 12-14)
3. Service sheet for the opening of Henfynyw church, 21 September 1866, In English and Welsh.
4. List of tithe arrears, for the half year ending 30 June 1888.
5. Balance Sheet of David Lloyd in account with the Rev. W. O. Edwards, 1887, giving the proportion of tithes from 24 January 1886 to 1 January 1887.
6. Questionnaire issued by the Royal Commission on the Church in Wales, 1906, with fairly detailed written answers relating to the congregation and services.7. Registers of Services
(see also 11)
7. Register of Services 1939-1969.8-10. Miscellaneous volumes and papers
(see also 3-6, 12-14)
8. Faculty, 1951, for the erection of a marble memorial tablet in memory of Gwilym Aeron Jones of Roseland Cottage.
9. Register of Parochial Electors, examined as correct for 1966, 1969, 1975 and 1978.
10/1. County Surveyors coloured plan of an improvement to the Fishguard to Bangor trunk road, A 487 at the Old Foundry, Henfynw dated March 1966.
10/2. Quotation for wiring connections from the Vestry lighting to the Lychgate dated August 1966.
10/3. Order for 40 sets of blue cartons (loaves and fishes) from Thomas Leach Ltd. of Abingdon, Church Finance Dept., 5 December 1966.
10/4. Letter dated 13 April 1967 to Prayer Letter Readers, from the Rev. Bertie Lewis concerning getting Norman and Deidres Prayer Letters distributed and perhaps having a donation for.
10/5. Quotations from Alltgoch Quarries, Llanbyther, dated June 1967 for surfacing and kerbing at Aberayron Church and Surfacing areas of Aberayron Vicarage with coats of Macadam.
10/6. Description of interior decoration work for the churches of Lllandewi Aberath and Henfynyw from Campbell Smith and Co. Ltd. of Muswell Hill, London, dated November 1967.
10/7. Quotations and details of repairs to lead lights, from Bristol, Wadley & Co. dated 1966 and 1968.
10/8. Sample of fabric for an altar or pulpit frontal from Wippells of Exeter, dated 1968, also an order and a letter of 17 April saying the church were disappointed with it, and suggesting edgings of velvet.
10/9. Details of a claim to the Ecclesiastical Insurance office for repairs to damaged windows dated February and March 1968.
10/10. Folder containing a survey of the Church and details and quotations for a damp proofing course by Rentokil Laboratories, dated 1968.
10/11a-b. Letter from the Vicar Bertie Lewis and Churchwardens about money needed for repairs, and details of £250 spent on the Lychgate and around the Church the previous year.
10/12a-c. Applications to various sources for funds for repairs, including a letter from the Welsh Office saying that the church building was of no special architectural interest, and including a list of all the Ceredigion churches that were (12B)
10/13. Two letters dated October 1968 concerning a donation to the church from Herbert Lewis of Lymington Church.
10/14. Map of a proposed water supply scheme at Tynr Porth, Aberaeron, and other documents dated 1968 about a proposed water communication to the mains for Henfywy, and a rate for churchyard water.
10/15. Documents concerning improvements to the church, including footpaths, re-doing the chancel roof, and new lighting, dated 1968.
10/16. Receipts for purchases for the Church in 1968 and manufacturers brochures sent after enquiries.
10/17. A letter dated 21 November 1968 to the Rev. B. Lewis from the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. He had wanted to know the weight of one of the bells, but the Foundry did not have a record of the bell, and suggested it was supplied to a merchant without knowing its ultimate destination.
10/18. A booklet, undated, with information relating to the D.J. James Pantyfedwen Trust.
10/19. Manilla folder cover with some notes including one on the oldest gravestone.11. Registers of Services
(see also 7)
11. Register of Services from 1969 to 1993.12-14. Miscellaneous volumes and papers
(see also 3-6, 8-10)
12. Church Account Book, dated from 1972 to 1973.
13. Framed coloured plan by R. J. Withers, Architect, dated 21 June 1866 of the Parish Church of St David, Henfynyw, Cardiganshire, signed by Henry Morgan, incumbent, and John Jones, churchwarden.
14. Balance sheet and list of contributors for Appeal Year, 1968-1969.
Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting