Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
Parochial Records, Aberystwyth Saint Michael and All Angels
Acc. 2581Ref: CPR/ASTMReference:
[GB 0212] CPR/ASTMTitle:
Aberystwyth Saint Michael and All Angels, Parochial RecordsDate(s):
292 itemsArchival History:
Presented to the National Library of Wales by the Vicar and Churchwardens of Aberystwyth parish in 1933.
The collection was transferred to Ceredigion Archives in 2010.Scope and Content:
The collection has been arranged as follows:CPR/ASTM/1-165
(A) Papers dealing with the various Churches of St Michael, Aberystwyth.CPR/ASTM/1-11
(A1) The first and second Churches (1762-1833)CPR/ASTM/12-67
(A2) General correspondence re. building the third Church.CPR/ASTM/68-97
(A3) Vestry Meeting Reports re building the third Church.CPR/ASTM/98-101
(A4) Correspondence with Church Commissioners of the third Church.CPR/ASTM/102-114
(A5) The Sea Wall and Saint Michael’s third Church. CPR/ASTM/115-122
(A6) Saint Michael’s from 1833 to 1890.CPR/ASTM/123-128
(A7) The Rate Books for St Michael’s, 1816-1834.CPR/ASTM/129-165
(A8) The fourth Church of St Michael’s 1890-1922.CPR/ASTM/166-175
(B) The Welsh Church, Aberystwyth.CPR/ASTM/176-200
(C) The ‘Ysgoldy’, Aberystwyth.CPR/ASTM/201-239
(D) The National School, Aberystwyth. CPR/ASTM/240-245
(E) The National School, Penparcau.CPR/ASTM/246-265
(F) The Downie Bequest.CPR/ASTM/266-292
(G) Miscellaneous.1-165. (A) Papers Dealing With the Various Churches of Saint Michael, Aberystwyth1-11. (A1)The First and Second Churches (1762-1833)
1. A list of subscribers to the Aberystwyth Church Rebuilding fund of 17 May 1762, including the Mayor, John Jonas. The occupations of some of the subscribers are given. There is also a statement of the position of the fund on 9 February 1784. Included is an interesting description of the difficulties of public worship in having to go to the Church at Llanbadarn Fawr after the destruction of the Old Church by the sea.
2. A folded copy of the sheet above, CPR/ASTM/1, made in 1825.
3. NOT FOUND AT TIME OF RECATALOGUING. SEE PRINTED COPY OF NLW LIST IN BOX 1 FOR DETAILS.
4. An extract from the Will of Dr Richard Jones of St Clemence Dane, Middlesex, Gentleman, late treasurer of the Welsh Charity School, bequeathing £30 per annum to the Benefice of St Michael. Will proved 17 September 1792, and a note on the envelope says this will be transferred from the Old Church of St Michael to the new church, 23 June 1836.
5. A statement of the account of the committee appointed to complete and endow the Chapel of St Michael, Aberystwyth, with a list of subscribers. The total sum was seven hundred and sixty one pounds, eight pence and a halfpenny. Written on it in pencil, ‘1792 accounts’
6/1-11. An extract from a Deed dated 8 November 1798 relating to the Rhydhir and Keven Kyde lands, and two days math of meadow - part of the Nant yr Tydrill messuage or tenement in the Parish of Nantmel, Radnorshire, formerly in the possession of Henry Williams or his tenants, and then of Penry Price. The land is described. It was for the curate or curacy of Aberystwyth. With it are letters concerning the land dating from 1890 to 1909, and mentioning the tithe map field numbers (4), and its listing on a map of the manor of Elwcheord (6) and on the Ordnance Survey Map (8). Numbers 9, 10 and 11 concern the sale of the land.
7. Legal case notes, dated in pencil 1786, an opinion of Dr Lushington concerning a right of presentation to St Michael’s Chapel Aberystwyth, and quoting a Deed of Endowment of 11 September 1706, between Rev. Richard Lloyd of the parish of Llanfihangel Genau’r Glynn of one part, and the Bishop of St David’s and Thomas Powell of Nanteos on the other. Whereas Llanbadarn Church was too far away, the people of Aberystwyth had agreed to the purchase of messuages and premises hereinafter described for the yearly value of eight pounds, to endow and maintain a minister for Aberystwyth to serve the same for the sum of £220. In consideration of £220, paid to Richard Lloyd by the people of Aberystwyth, he has sold to the Bishop and Thomas Powell a messuage and lands called Mochno or Ty Mawr in the parish of Llancynfelin, with a yearly rent of £8 8s., its rents and profits for the minister of the Chapel of St Michael’s, Aberystwyth. Further it quotes an Act of Consecration of St Michael’s Chapel dated 10 October 1787, by the Bishop of St David’s. This mentioned the Ty Mawr, and described the size of the Chapel and the burial ground around it. A further statement said that divine Service had been performed in the Chapel s by the Rev. Richard Morgan (curate of Llanbadarn Fawr) but there were only a few marriages there. The document goes on to mention the increasing population of Aberystwyth since the building of the Chapel which needed a larger church, and it proposed to take down the present building. There are notes in the margin about there being a previous chapel at Aberystwyth, the old Chapel of St Michael’s being carried away by the sea, and in 1762 there were many present who had been married in the old chapel.
8. A Draft copy of the case submitted to Dr Lushington.
9. Copy of a Grant dated 11 December 1828, by the Mayor and Burghers of the town of Aberystwyth to the Kings Commissioners for building new churches. They granted, for no consideration, a freehold piece of land, formerly in the occupation of Sir Uvedale Price, Baronet, called the Castle Field. A description of its bounds is given, and a plan with measurements. It was for ‘ecclesiastical purposes’. Signed by Job Sheldon, the mayor.
10. A copy of a Certificate of a Grant of a piece of land by the mayor and Burghers of Aberystwyth to the King’s Commissioner’s for building new churches, quoting a Court Leet and Frankpledge dated 11 December 1828, in front of Job Sheldon. The jury’s names are given. They sold a piece of land called Castle Field, for a new church, to Pryse Pryse Esq. of Gogerddan, James Hughes Esq. of Glanrheidol, the Rev. John Hughes of St Michael’s and Morris Davies and John Hughes, churchwardens. See plan, CPR/ASTM/9.
11. A History of Aberystwyth Church. There had been an earlier chapel there mentioned in an attached paper from Gogerddan, quoting from 15 July 27 Elizabeth (1585). There are references to the Form of Consecration of the Rebuilt Church of Saint Michael, Aberystwyth dated 10 October 1787, and a Deed of Conveyance between the Reverend Richard Lloyd and the Bishop of St David’s and Thomas Powell of Nanteos, granting certain properties at Mochno for the use of St Michael’s. The history ends with the newly built chapel opened in 1833.12-67. (A2) General Correspondence re building of the third Church.
12. Letter from Edward Haycock, architect, to Job Sheldon Esq. (Mayor of Aberystwyth) dated 22 July 1820, concerning a design for the new church at Aberystwyth. He suggests that to house 1,000 people the old chapel would need too large an addition. He suggested taking it down, using the materials again, and could design a new one. A plan and elevation and specifications and an estimate would be 10 guineas. Additional drawings could be provided at a moderate charge, and as he knew the ground he would not need to visit it again.
13. A copy of a letter from the Church Commissioners’ office to Mr Edward Haycock (as architect to the Board), dated 10 April 1825, concerning the new church at Aberystwyth. Details had been laid before the commissioner - Mr Richard James for the performance of all the works, at a cost of £3.250. The board would accept this if he was of good character.
14. A letter from C.K. Cockerell to John Hughes, churchwarden, St Michael’s (for the rebuilding committee), dated 27 October 1825, asking for particulars of the proposed church at Aberystwyth.
15. A letter from C.K. Cockerell, architect, to John Hughes, churchwarden, St Michael’s (for the rebuilding committee), dated 20 January 1826. He could not meet the rebuilding committee in December, but would get to Aberystwyth about the 25 February.
16. A letter from C.K. Cockerell to John Hughes, churchwarden, St Michael’s (for the rebuilding committee), dated 22 February 1826. His visit had to be postponed until April.
17. A letter from C.K. Cockerell to John Hughes, churchwarden, St Michael’s (for the rebuilding committee), dated 3 June 1826, to arrange to meet the committee.
18. An unsigned part of a letter, dated Aberystwyth 4 June 1826, to C. K. Cockerell saying the rebuilding committee will be glad to see him on Wednesday next.
19. A letter dated 15 June 1826, from C.K. Cockerell to John Hughes, churchwarden, St Michael’s (for the rebuilding committee), from Lampeter, apologising for his inability to attend at Aberystwyth.
20. A letter from C.K. Cockerell to the Bishop of St David’s, from Aberystwyth, dated 12 December 1827. The Bishop had promised to obtain from Government a fund to build the new church with that collected by the inhabitants. Cockerell tells him about the rebuilding Committee, and that £2.000 has been collected from the inhabitants, and they therefore are sending their petition to the Board of Commissions.
21. A rough draft of 20.
22. Fragment of a draft of an undated letter, probably to the Bishop of St David’s, saying that accompanying papers about the proposed new church at Aberystwyth were refused and returned, and the writer begs to know the reason why. They were advised to send them to his lordship at Aberywilly, but Mr Morgan and Mrs Morris (?) the Banker of Carmarthen sent then forward from thence to Durham without it seems paying the postage.
23. Draft of a letter from Aberystwyth, dated 9 April 1828, from the rebuilding committee, probably to Edward Haycock, to superintend the building of the new church, they wish to know about his proposals of assistance for this, and mentioning Her Majesty’s commissioners for building new churches who had suggested giving the sum of £1,000 in aid of building such a church. Also notes concerning the circumstances of Aberystwyth town and the Castle Field.
24. A letter from Edward Haycock, Shrewsbury, 8 April, 1828 to John Hughes Esq. Aberystwyth (for the rebuilding committee), He has been told that the inhabitants of Aberystwyth required a new church. He needed to know how many free seats it is to have, and about the funds, so when he comes he can come prepared with a description of some shape. He wants to view some situations in different parts of the town, with concerns about the most convenient side of the church to enter it. He had put a design before the Commissioners for a Chapel of Ease to be erected to contain 750 and cost £3200 and having a tower. He wants to know some more details.
25. A letter from Edward Haycock, Shrewsbury dated 16 May 1828 to John Hughes Esq. Aberystwyth (for the rebuilding committee), arranging to meet him, to examine the site of a new church.
26. A letter from Edward Haycock, Shrewsbury, dated 9 June1828, to John Hughes Esq. Aberystwyth (for the rebuilding committee). He is sending a Plan and perspective drawing of the proposed church and hoped it would be approved by the parishioners.
27. A draft of a letter dated 14 June 1828, by the Secretary of the Committee appointed to superintend the building of the new church, concerning the legal possession of a piece of ground by the parishioners on which to build it.
28. Copy of a letter to the Commissioners with details about the building of the new church upon a new site adjoining the present church, and questions from the Committee asking to whom the ground should be conveyed. Also questions concerning the rights of subscribers not parishioners, or those in the parish but not in the Chapelry who may not pay any rate to the chapel, and about possible new endowments to augment the existing ones for the minister etc.
29. A rough draft of a letter from the churchwarden, John Hughes (for the rebuilding committee), dated 15 July 1828, concerning getting the Castle Field site for the new church at Aberystwyth from the Corporation.
30. A letter from Edward Haycock, Shrewsbury, dated 20 July, 1828(?) to John Hughes Esq. Aberystwyth (for the rebuilding committee), Haycock says the drawings and estimates are now in the hands of the Commissioners in Great George Street – he presumes the Society for enlarging churches require the same documents.
31. A letter from Edward Haycock, Shrewsbury, dated 8 April 1828, to John Hughes Esq. churchwarden, Aberystwyth (for the rebuilding committee), saying Haycock had forwarded plans for the chapel to the Commissioners now he has a plan of the ground. They have 6 months to consider it. He did not think they would alter the design.
32. A very rough draft from the rebuilding committee to the Board of Church commissioners saying that Edward Haycock was appointed as architect, and with suggestions about seating in the body of the church and the gallery, and costs.
33. Draft of a letter from Aberystwyth, dated 27 March 1829, to Edward Haycock Esq. The Commissioners for Building New Churches had finally approved his plans for the new church.
34. A blank printed letter dated 5 May 1829, requesting subscriptions for building the new church to be lodged at the bank of Messrs, Williams, Davies and Co. with as little delay as possible, after a long delay and unavoidable hindrances.
35. A letter from John Hughes, churchwarden (for the rebuilding committee), dated Aberystwyth, 10 June 1829. He says he had applied three years ago to the Society for promoting the enlargement and building churches, to build a new church as the present one was too small, and the ‘Sir’ of the letter had handed him a form. Great exertions had been made since that time to raise the money, and a petition had been presented to the Commissioners for building new churches. There are details of the history of the old chapel which could only take 350 persons at the most. The inhabitants of the town – a very considerable resort and bathing place - were willing to raise £2,000. The Commissioners had promised £1.000. A plan for 500 seats had been approved. There would be a deficiency of £700, and he is asking for money to make up this deficiency.
36. Draft of an unsigned letter dated Aberystwyth 22 July 1929, from the Minister and chapel wardens. They regret living under the painful necessity of saying the addressee’s subscription towards the building of the new church was still in abeyance. The names of N. Powell Esq. and Pryse Pryse Esq. were written at the bottom.
37. A letter dated 27 July 1829, to the Rev. W. Hughes the Minister, and the churchwardens of Aberystwyth, from David Lewis, saying that his subscription was being paid.
38. A letter dated 8 August 1829, to H. Benson Esq. Aberystwyth, from Mrs Davies of Tan y Bwych, concerning her subscription for the new church.
39. Draft of two letters dated 12 August 1829 to a ‘madam’ saying in the first half it was necessary to pay the whole amount of the subscription promised, and in the second that they had received no reply to their request for a subscription, and wish to know if one would be paid.
40. Very rough draft of a letter dated 12 September 1829, partly overwritten. Concerning the new church and in answer to some enquiries.
41. A letter from James Hughes Esq. to the rebuilding Committee, dated 13 October 1829, concerning the payment of a subscription.
42. A letter dated 5 October 1829 from the Deanery, Durham from M. L. Davis (the Bishop of St David’s) regretting and explaining why he is not able to pay a subscription to the building of the new church.
43. A letter dated 26 October 1829, to the Committee for the building of the new church, from John Parry, explaining he is directed to withhold paying a subscription to the new church by Mr Richard ----- ?.
44. A letter dated 16 November 1829, to Thomas Williams, banker, Aberystwyth, from John Parry, concerning Mr Richard’s subscription to the new church.
45. A letter dated 1 December 1829, to a Colonel from W. L. Powell. He has just seen James Hughes and sent his subscription for the new church.
46. A draft of two letters, the first thanking someone for his handsome subscription which will be sent forthwith to the Committee, and the second on behalf of the Committee asking for whatever subscription the addressee thought proper.
47. Draft of an undated, unsigned letter calling in Colonel P’s (Powell’s) subscription.
48. Draft of an undated, unsigned letter. Mr Hughes of Glanrheidol has informed Mr Morris Davis that when the subscription to the new church was wanted it should be paid.
49. Draft of a letter to ‘gentlemen’, (the Church Commissioners?) undated and unsigned, to remit to them the account of the new church, £1,200 and hope very shortly to send a few hundred pounds more, being very anxious to see the new church commenced, and hoping that when it is begun, visitors to the place might contribute towards it. The writer(s) have been exerting themselves to the extent of their ability and notes about should they fail. (1829?)
50. Draft of a letter, partly crossed out, written on behalf of the committee, and concerning the present state of the funds for the building. Total estimated for the building and contingencies, £3,700, and statements of funds so far are given.
51. Letter to John Hughes Esq. (for the rebuilding committee), from Edward Haycock, dated Shrewsbury, 25 February 1830. He has put out tenders for the building of the church with a month to deliver them. He wanted to be sure his plans and drawings were safely kept and not injured in any way. He suggests that handbills should be printed and circulated in the town with a place for the drawings to be kept to be named.
52. A letter dated 17 June 1830, from W. Williams to John Hughes saying he will be paying Mr Pryse (Pryse’s) first instalment of subscription of £50.
53. A letter dated 9 August 1830, from Edward Haycock to the Rev. John Hughes, Llanbadarn, Aberystwyth, with details of money collected for labour and materials and forwarding accounts to the Commissioners for Building New Churches.
54. A letter dated 15 June 1833, to George Self Esq. (for the Church Commissioners) from the Rev. J. Hughes, (Incumbent of Aberystwyth) with details of the endowments of the Chapel of Saint Michael which he felt was his duty to forward to the Commissioners.
55. A draft of a letter dated 19 June 1833, from the Rebuilding Committee to the Church Commissioners, concerning pew rents, and stating that the new church was then very nearly ready, and informing the Board that this was not an additional church, but a rebuilt and enlarged existing one.
56. Draft of a letter dated July 19 1833,from the Rebuilding Committee to the Church Commissioners asking for permission to take over the now completed Church from the Contractors, it then having a License from the from the Diocese to perform Divine Services, and plans to open it being made.
57. Undated draft of a letter from George James Esq. secretary of the Rebuilding Committee to the Commissioners for the Building of New Churches concerning grants for expenses to be submitted to them.
58. A letter dated 4 August 1833, from Charles Morgan on behalf of the Bishop of St David’s to the Rev. W. Hughes, asking for information needed by the Bishop prior to the consecration of the new Church.
59. A letter dated 13 August 1833 from Charles Morgan, the secretary of the Bishop of St David’s to the Rev. w. Hughes asking for more information on the endowments of the New Church,
60. A letter dated 29 August 1833 from Charles Morgan, the secretary of the Bishop of St David’s to the Rev. w. Hughes asking for details of the plan and measurements of the New Church of Saint Michael’s Aberystwyth with a view to preparing the Act of Consecration. A plan with measurements, in pencil, is drawn on the last page of the letter.
61. A letter dated 2 September 1833, from William Morgan, Crown Surveyor, to the Rebuilding Committee requesting them not to trespass upon Aberystwyth Castle ground until they have a Conveyance from the Crown for part of the ground proposed for enlarging the churchyard. He intends to report what has already been done.
62. Draft of a letter dated 30 October 1833(?) from the Rebuilding Committee to the Church Commissioners thanking them for granting the whole of the drawback on the new chapel at Aberystwyth.
63. A letter dated 20 November 1833 from Edward Haycock to the rebuilding Committee asking them to sign the accounts for the Church Commissioners.
64. An overwritten, very rough draft of questions prepared by the Rebuilding Committee relating to the allotment of pews in the new church.
65. A letter dated 25 March 1834 to the Minister of Saint Michael’s Chapel, Aberystwyth, from Thomas Jones, enclosing a demand sent by the Government to the Bishop of St. David’s, requesting information on the sums expended on the Church Yard Extension, to be laid before the House of Commons.
66. Copy of a letter dated 28 June 1834, from the Rebuilding Committee to the Church Commissioners concerning the right of way in Aberystwyth Castle and on a piece of waste ground adjoining.
67. A letter from the Church Commissioners to the Minister of Aberystwyth Chapel, dated 13 May 1836, saying that the Commissioners for the Building of New Churches have forwarded to the Bishop of Saint David’s a Deed giving all the pew rents of the new church to the Minister for the time being as a yearly stipend. 68-97. (A3) Vestry Meeting Reports concerning the rebuilding of the Third Church
68. A Notice, dated 17 September 1825 of a General Vestry Meeting of the Inhabitants of Aberystwyth for the purpose of erecting a new chapel.
69. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 21 October 1825, containing resolutions to ask C. Cockerell to visit the present Church, and furnish a plan of a new one with 1500 seats, and to open negotiations with Mr Price of Foxley for an extension of the burial ground.
70. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 18 November 1825, deciding to write once more to Mr Cockerell in answer to some queries of his, and to Mr Price. The names of Committee members present were given in this and following Minutes.
71. A Notice, dated 8 April 1826 of a General Vestry Meeting of the Inhabitants of Aberystwyth for appointing an architect to draw up plans for the new Chapel.
72. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 30 November 1827, with resolutions concerning the amount of money, £2,000 from subscribers, to be raised for the Rebuilding, and a note about levying a rate for a wall for the lower end of the churchyard. On the back are draft letters concerning subscriptions with the names of Pryse, Powell, Richards and Powell R.I.
73. A list dated 1827 of possible subscribers ‘for the New Church’, some with addresses.
74. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 20 February 1828, with a resolution to print and distribute 250 copies of a list of subscribers to the New Chapel.
75. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 28 March 1828, accepting a grant of £1.000 from the Commissioners for Building New Churches, and arranging a General Vestry Meeting to appoint an architect to draw up plans for the New Church
76. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 4 April 1828, resolving to write to the architect Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury, requesting him to go to Aberystwyth at his earliest convenience to see about a rate to provide necessary plans and estimates.
77. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 14 April 1828, resolving to send information, listed, in reply to an Edward Haycock letter.
78. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 24 June 1828, settling matters related to the site of the new Church, and with the draft of a letter concerning a Conveyance from the Corporation.
79. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 11 March 1829, resolving that subscriptions be sent to the Aberystwyth Bank by 5 April, and concerning 200 copies of letters to be printed and sent for every subscriber of £1 upwards.
80. A list of subscribers of £5 and upwards, and under £5, with amounts paid, dated 19 May 1829, and some occupations mentioned.
81. Minutes of the Rebuilding Committee dated 6 June 1829, dealing with the £1,500 forwarded to the Commissioners for Building New Churches, and their issuing orders to the architect to contract for the building.
82. The order of the Procession to the Church and the disposition of the people around the Stone Laying Ceremony. (9 June 1830).
83. An order from the Rebuilding Committee dated 28 June 1830 to pay Thomas Williams £200 for services rendered.
84. Copy of a Case about the New Church, dated 1833 for the opinion of (Dr Lushington) concerning the erection of a Church Wall by the Church Wardens.
85. Another copy of a Case about the New Church, dated 2 January 1833 for the opinion of Dr Lushington concerning the erection of a Church Wall by the Church Wardens, and with his comments.
86. Calculation dated 19 July 1833, of the drawback of timber used for the New Chapel at Aberystwyth.
87. A petition dated 1833 from the Incumbent of Saint Michael’s, Aberystwyth, churchwardens and inhabitants of the chapelry, to the Bishop of Saint David’s asking him to consecrate the new building.
88. A draft of a sworn statement dated 25 March 1835 by the Incumbent to the Church Commissioners concerning the endowments belonging to the old church of Saint Michael’s Chapel, Aberystwyth, in answer to an enquiry ordered by the Bishop of Saint David’s.
89. A copy of the transfer of Endowments of the Old Chapel to the New Chapel of Saint Michael, Aberystwyth, dated 23 June 1836.
90. Proposals of the Rebuilding Committee dated 1836, for the allocation of pews in the new church.
91. A copy of the Scale of Pew Rents in the new church, dated 1836.
92. A plan of the seating arrangements in the new church, ground floor and gallery, with pew numbers. n.d.
93. Calculation on the number of pews to be erected in the New Chapel of Saint Michael, Aberystwyth. n.d.
94. Calculations of the seating in the Gallery.
95. Calculations of seating.
96. A statement of extra work done and costs of it, for the Vestry in the New Chapel, Aberystwyth. n.d.
97. An Extract from an Act of George III concerning the appointment of Church Wardens. 98-101. (A4) Correspondence with Church Commissioners of the Third Church
98. Letters received by the Rev. John Hughes between2 June 1825 and 16 November 1833, from his Majesty’s Commissioners for Building New Churches, concerning the rebuilding of Saint Michael’s Church, Aberystwyth.
99. Letters received by the Rev. John Hughes between 6 July 1829, and 10 September 1833, from the Incorporated Society for Rebuilding Churches, concerning the rebuilding of Saint Michael’s Church, Aberystwyth.
100. Forms of Application for a Grant from the Incorporated Society for promoting the Enlargement, Building and Repairing of Churches and Chapels, dated 25 July 1825.
101. A copy of a letter dated 24 July 1833, from the Commissioners for Rebuilding Churches to the Bishop of Saint David’s concerning the demolition of the old church building.102-114. (A5) The Sea Wall and Saint Michael’s Third Church
102. An Agreement dated 15 June 1830, between the Rebuilding Committee and Lewis Hopkins, mason of Aberystwyth, for the construction of a new wall near the Castle House, Aberystwyth.
103. A Draft of this Agreement.
104. The Case for the opinion of R. V. Richards concerning the parties responsible for the construction of the sea wall, dated 20 February 1832. It included a history since 1818 of buildings and streets near the site, including a Public Hall and Terrace.
105. A draft of a letter dated 1832 to the Commissioners for Building New Churches regarding the churchyard wall.
106. A draft of a letter dated 1832, to the Commissioners for Building New Churches concerning the parties responsible for paying for the new sea wall, and with a list of names on the back, and ‘John Edward’s fields’.
107. A letter from Edward Haycock to the Rev. Hughes (Rebuilding Committee) dated 6 February 1833 with a pencilled plan of the sea wall, a copy of the one he sent to the Commissioners.
108. The Terms of Payment for the wall, signed by the Rebuilding Committee, and dated 16 March 1833.
109. The Sealed and Signed Agreement between the Rebuilding Committee and Edward Lumley, master builder and Morris Davies Esq. for building the wall between the New Church and the Sea. The names of some of the Committee are given; Rev. John Hughes of Llanbadarn, Thomas William Esq. and Rice Jones Esq., Edward Evans, innkeeper, John Roberts, tanner, Jenkin Evans, draper, all of Aberystwyth, and John Miller Esq. and William Rowland, draper, churchwardens.
110. A draft of 109 dated May 1833.
111. The Tender of David Watkins, senior, mason of Aberystwyth, for taking down and rebuilding the wall on the east side of the Aberystwyth Churchyard for £18.12s, dated 10 June 1833.
112. A draft Agreement dated 1833, between the Rebuilding Committee and Edward Lumley and Morris Davies for the building of the churchyard wall.
113. A pencilled plan, elevation and measurements for the Church Wall.
114. The Specifications and Description of the works necessary in the construction of a stone wall on the north side of the churchyard.115-122. (A6) Saint Michael’s from 1833 to 1890
115. Extract from the Will of Ann Evans, Portland Street, Aberystwyth, dated 18 May 1861, concerning her legacy to Saint Michael’s Church (copy made about 1900).
116. An Order in Council dated 11 October 1861, for separating the Chapelry of Aberystwyth from the Vicarage of Llanbadarn Fawr and for constituting it a separate Parish and Benefice.
117. A copy of The London Gazette of 12 June 1863, containing a reference to the separation of the Chapelry of Aberystwyth from the Vicarage of Llanbadarn Fawr and for constituting it a separate parish and benefice.
118. A copy of The London Gazette of 10 August 1866, containing a statement of a Grant of £60 to the Living of Saint Michael’s Church, Aberystwyth.
119. A letter dated 17 August 1866, from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to the Rev. E. G. Phillips, St Michael’s parsonage, Aberystwyth, enclosing a copy of the London Gazette, ratifying a Grant of £60 commencing on 1 May 1866 to the Living of Saint Michael’s.
120. A Mortgage dated 21 September 1866, of Saint Michael’s Church, Aberystwyth to the Governors’ of Queen Anne’s Bounty, for securing the payment of £210 with interest.
121. An Instrument dated 10 March 1887, regulating the right to nominate a Minister to the Church of Holy Trinity, Aberystwyth.
122. A copy of the London Gazette for 15 July 1887. 123-128. (A7) The Rate Books for St Michael’s, 1816 1854.
123. A volume with the Aberystwyth Church Rates, 9 December 1816.
124. A volume with the Aberystwyth Church Rates, 30 April 1817.
125. A volume with the Aberystwyth Church Rates, May 1822-May 1827.
126. A volume with the Aberystwyth Church Rates, 1837-1838.
127. A volume with the Aberystwyth Church Rates, 1850-1854
128. A volume with the Aberystwyth Church Rates, 17 November 1854129-165. (A8) The Fourth Church of St. Michael’s, 1890–1922
129. Scale drawings by Middleton and Son, Architects, Cheltenham for the proposed chancel arch at Aberystwyth Church, September 1881.
130. An Offertory Book of Saint Michael’s dated 1881, and, loose, various accounts, including a list of contributions to the Rebuilding Fund with names and addresses, details of measurements of the proposed church, and of clergy.
131. A letter dated 15 May 1885, from John Watkins to the Reverend Chancellor Phillips concerning subscriptions and the subscription list, of the Saint Michael’s Rebuilding Fund.
132. A list of subscriptions received up to May 1885.
133. The collected correspondence between Archdeacon Protheroe and the Agent of the Nanteos Estate, from 27 November 1886 to 3 August 1888, regarding the purchase of land in Laura Gardens for the erection of a new church. Included are several replies from the London Solicitors of the Estate.
134. 55 letters from Thomas Nicholson, architect, Hereford, from 25 June 1886 to 26 March 1891, to the Rev. J. Harvard Protheroe, the Vicarage, Aberystwyth, relating to the Plans of St Michael’s Church.
135. 18 letters, dated 1888, being replies to an invitation of the Rev. Protheroe to attend a Meeting of the Rebuilding Committee.
136. 11 letters from the Rev. D. Howells, of 'Llawden', relating to the purchase of the site for the new church.
137. A Scale drawing in ink and wash by Nicholson and Sons of the New Church of St Michael’s, Aberystwyth, dated May 1889, showing the Elevation and Tower .
138. List of Tenders and Correspondence dated 18 May 1889, relating to the Rebuilding of St Michael’s, and acceptance of the tender from Thomas Price, Builder of Hay.
139. The Specifications for the New Church of St Michael Aberystwyth, dated 20 July 1889.
140. Plans dated 1889 of the site of St Michael’s, and a sepia photograph of the new stained glass window in the new church.
141. A ground plan of the new church dated 1889 showing the pillars, and labelling the various parts of the church.
142/1-5. The contract for the gas lighting of the new church dated 23 July 1890, a plan of the lights, and a note about the altar rails.
143. The plan and elevation of the reredos, dated 1890.
144. A Bond dated 23 July 1890, between the Rev. J. H. Protheroe and others and Mrs Margaret Edwards, for the payment of a £1500 loan to Saint Michael’s.
145. A letter dated 3 September 1890, from Ernest Trubshaw, Ael-y-bryn, Llanelly, offering some wrought iron standards for the new church.
146. An application to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for permission to substitute the new for the old church of Saint Michael’s, Aberystwyth, dated 18 October 1890.
147. A Plan dated October 1890, in pen and coloured wash by Nicholson and Son of the seating accommodation in the new church.
148. A copy of the London Gazette dated 19 December 1890, containing a notice of the transference of the endowment from the old to the new church of Saint Michael, Aberystwyth by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
149. Correspondence dated 1890, between the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and Archdeacon Protheroe concerning amongst other things the site of the new Church of Saint Michael, Aberystwyth.
150. Correspondence dated 1891 – 1893, relating to the ventilation of the new church.
151. Three collection books of printed receipts, none filled in, for the St Michael’s Rebuilding Fund.
152. Invoices, receipts and correspondence dated 1891-1895, on behalf of Nicholson and Sons, Palace Yard, Worcester, for instalments for the new organ.
153. Two letters of April and May 1894, to Archdeacon Protheroe from the Ecclesiastical Commission and the Board of Agriculture, concerning the investment of the proceeds from the Sale of Ty Hwnt Farm.
154. Three letters, dated 23 June 1894, between T. Westlake Morgan (Hon. Secretary of the Welsh Branch of the Incorporated Society of Musicians) and Archdeacon Protheroe concerning a Piccolo Stop to be added to the organ of Saint Michael’s Church, marked with ‘I.S.M.’ in commemoration of the first visit of the Incorporated Society of Musicians to Aberystwyth on 7 June 1894.
155. A Memorandum (draft) dated 1894, of the Agreement between the Vicar and Churchwardens and Thomas Hopkins for the sale of the old building of Saint Michael’s Church, Aberystwyth.
156. A letter dated 22 July 1893, from the Diocesan Registrar, Carmarthen, enclosing the Deed of Faculty (not with it) for the demolition of the old church of Saint Michael’s.
157. Tenders etc. dated 1894, relating to the demolition of the old church of Saint Michael.
158. Correspondence and a coloured plan dated April 1896, relating to the sale of a portion of Saint Michaels Churchyard to Aberystwyth Corporation.
159/1-10. Correspondence and legal documents dated 1899 to 1901, concerning the sale of a portion of Saint Michaels Churchyard to Aberystwyth corporation.
160. A Coloured Plan, to Scale, of the Vicarage premises by R.S. Jenkins, Auctioneers, Aberystwyth, dated 1900.
161. A letter dated 17 November 1902, from the National Provincial Bank, Aberystwyth, to Archdeacon Protheroe concerning Interest on Consols.
162. A letter dated 11 February 1903, from the Local Government Board, Whitehall, to the Churchwardens of Aberystwyth, enclosing a coloured Plan of the New Burial Ground and a permit for its use.
163. Printed forms with the provisional valuation of the Church property in Aberystwyth, for the purpose of Income Tax, dated 1915 (sites of churches and schools.)
164. A copy of an entry in the Saint Michaels Register of Burials, concerning the burial of James Havard Protheroe of Trewerne, dated 11 September 1916.
165. Miscellaneous Correspondence concerning the finance and social activities of Saint Michael’s Church, and printed instructions for the sale of some Queen Anne’s Bounty lands.166-175. (B) The Welsh Church, Aberystwyth
166. A Minute Book of the Committee for the Erection of the Welsh Church, 29 October 1851 to 1 May 1863.
167. A list of subscriptions towards the new Welsh Church, Aberystwyth, proposed to be built on a site near the Town Hall, prefaced by a statement for the need for increased accommodation.
168. An additional list of subscribers towards the Welsh Church Building Fund.
169. A rough list of subscribers towards the Welsh Church Building Fund.
170. A printed Statement of the Accounts of Saint Mary’s Welsh Church, Aberystwyth, 1872-1873.
171. A consent dated 7 December 1881, to accept an Endowment of Saint Mary’s Church, Aberystwyth.
172. The Contract for heating Saint Mary’s Church, Aberystwyth, February 1902.
173. A Statement dated December 1902, of the duties of the organist and caretaker of Saint Mary’s Parish Church.
174. A cutting from the ‘Cambrian News’ dated 3 June 1923, relating to the Jubilee of Saint Mary’s Church, Aberystwyth, and with the history of the Church.
175. Faculty, dated 31 October 1925, for putting up a Memorial Window at Saint Mary’s Church, Aberystwyth, in memory of William James and his wife Catherine. 176-200. (C) The ‘Ysgoldy’, Aberystwyth
176. Copy of presentments at a Court Leet of 21 April 1812, concerning a Grant of land for the Ysgoldy Building.
177. Copy of a Rental from the Aberystwyth Corporation of the Ysgoldy, dated 1 September 1857.
178. Copy of a notice in the Cambrian News, 8 January 1870 about the re-opening of the Aberystwyth Grammar School.
179. Copy of a notice in the Cambrian News, 14 June 1878 with the prospectus of the Aberystwyth Grammar School.
180. Copy of a notice in the Cambrian News, 3 September 1886, with the prospectus of the Aberystwyth Grammar School.
181. A letter dated 2 September 1903, from the Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church to the Rev. W. Matthews, concerning recovering the possession of the Ysgoldy Room with a view to carrying it on as a Church Day and Sunday School.
182. A letter dated 13 February 1907, from the Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church to the Rev. W. Matthews, asking for more information concerning the deeds of the Ysgoldy.
183. A letter from J. E. Ollivant to Mr Barker dated 19 February 1907, concerning the legal position of the Ysgoldy Trustees.
184. A volume with Minutes of the meetings from 1907 to 1917 held in connection with the new Church Hall. Loose inside is a printed notice from the Church of Wales dated 1926 with Rules about Cathedrals, Churches and Churchyards.
185. A letter dated 29 September 1909, from the Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church to the Rev. M. J. Powell concerning the Ysgoldy.
186. A letter dated 21 October 1909, from the National Society to the Rev. M. J. Powell, concerning a scheme for rebuilding the Ysgoldy.
187. A letter dated 6 November 1909, from the National Society to the Rev. M. J. Powell, concerning the legal aspects of the Ysgoldy Rebuilding Scheme.
188. Letters dated from 10 November 1909 to October 18 1910, from the Rev. Jones-Powell concerning the rebuilding of the Ysgoldy, it then being too dilapidated to repair.
189/1-24. The collected letters dating from 23 November 1909 to April 11 1911, of the Board of Education and the Rev. Jones-Powell, concerning the Rebuilding of the Ysgoldy.
190/1-16. A Collection of letters dated from 1 August 1910 to 9 March 1911, from the Town Clerk of Aberystwyth, Arthur Johnson Hughes, to the Rev. Jones-Powell concerning the rebuilding of the Ysgoldy and the widening of Vulcan Street, Aberystwyth.
191/1-2. Two letters from the Bishop of Saint David’s to the Rev. Jones-Powell, dealing with the legal position of the Ysgoldy, 12 October 1910.
192. A letter dated 13 October 1910, from the National Society to the Bishop of St David’s concerning the administration of the Ysgoldy’
193. A copy of a joint letter dated 23 November 1910 from the Ysgoldy Trustees and the Aberystwyth Town Council to the Board of Education concerning the widening of Vulcan Street by alterations to the Ysgoldy premises.
194. A coloured plan of the proposed alteration to the Ysgoldy premises through the widening of Vulcan Street, Aberystwyth.
194a. A copy of 194.
195. A scheme dated 10 February 1911 prepared by the Board of Education for the management of the Ysgoldy, Aberystwyth.
196. A letter dated 14 December 1914 from George Phillips to the Reverend Jones-Powell regarding the management of the new Church Hall, Aberystwyth.
197/1-18. Letters from 19 September 1915 to December 1917, from the Town Clerk of Aberystwyth and the Diocesan Registry to the Rev. Jones-Powell, concerning a Right of Way through St Michael’s Churchyard, and various improvements to the property, altering the boundary of the Churchyard.
198/1-20. Bills and documents dealing with the new Parish Hall.
199. A statement of the early history of the Ysgoldy’
200. A draft of a letter giving an account of the history of the Ysgoldy.201-239. (D) The National School Aberystwyth
201. A volume containing the Minutes of the National School Committee for 1813 to 1833.
202. A license from the Mayor and Burgesses of the Town, Burgh and Liberty of Aberystwyth to Pryse Pryse Esquire, to Approve a Piece of Land for the purpose of erecting a school house, 15 October 1819.
203. Ledger Number Two of the Property Account of the National Schools, Aberystwyth, from 1869 to 1901.
204. A Scheme of the Charity Commissioners for the Regulation and Management of the Charity called the National School, Aberystwyth, dated 16 December 1856.
205. An analysis of the Charity Commissioners’ Scheme for the government of the Aberystwyth School, proposed on 16 December 1856.
206. A form dated 4 December 1858 containing information concerning the National School, Aberystwyth, required in connection with a government grant.
207. The Minutes of the Trustees Meeting of 16 July 1861, containing a resolution to rebuild the National School.
208. A Government Grant for the rebuilding of the National School dated 21 December 1861.
209. Draft copy of a Conveyance of land dated 19 June 1866, from Pryse Pryse the Younger, Esq. of Gogerddan and his Trustees, and the Trustees of the National School for the erection of new school buildings.
210. An order dated 7 February 1871, from the Charity Commissioners authorising the raising of a mortgage for the rebuilding of the National School.
211. An Order dated 9 August 1878 from the Charity Commissioners concerning the Sale for £480 to David Thomas, grocer of Thespian Street Aberystwyth, of Northgate House on the north side of Northgate Street, the property of the National School.
212. A statement of the Accounts of the National School, dated 31 December 1886.
213. The Minute Book of the National School Trustees from 19 April 1887 to 18 February 1903.
214. Counsel’s opinion regarding the ownership of the National School Buildings, Aberystwyth, dated 19 January 1888.
215. Letters of the Charity Commission to Archdeacon Protheroe from December 1888 to 1901 concerning the National School.
216. Copies and drafts of letters from Archdeacon Protheroe to the Charity Commission concerning the National School, dated from 5 February 1890 to 19 January 1893.
217. Various offers dated May 1892, from John Morgan of 6 Laura Place Aberystwyth, and one from Richard Saycell, poultry dealer of Aberystwyth, to purchase property offered for sale by the Trustees of the National School Aberystwyth.
218. A letter from Arthur Johnson Hughes, solicitor, to Archdeacon Protheroe, dated 21 June 1892, concerning Corporation Bonds,
219. Three printed copies of an order dated 20 July 1802, from the Charity Commission for the sale of a piece of land of 1374 square yards with frontages to North Street and Vaenor Street, 11 messuages numbered respectively 26 to 33 Northgate Street and 1, 2 and 5 Vaenor Street and other buildings thereon, and some Preference Shares of the Stock of several Railway Companies.
220. Two printed copies of an Order dated 29 August 1893, from the Charity Commission concerning the finances of the National School.
221. A copy of a Statement of the Accounts of the Charity called the National School, Aberystwyth, dated 31 December 1893, with a list of the Trustees.
222. A letter from Arthur Johnson Hughes, solicitor and Town clerk of Aberystwyth, to Archdeacon Protheroe dated 20 April 1894, asking for a draft of the ‘National School Scheme’ for the Town council.
223. Two copies of a printed order dated 24 April 1894, from the Charity Commission establishing a Scholarship scheme at the National School Aberystwyth.
224. A printed Order from the Charity Commission dated 17 September 1897, approving the appointment of George Fossett Roberts Esq. of 2 South Terrace, Aberystwyth, to be a Non-Official Trustee of the National School, Aberystwyth.
225. The Accounts of the National School, Aberystwyth dated 30 November 1900, and a list of names of the Trustees.
226. Various printed forms and leaflets concerning Education in National Schools, dated 1900 to 1901, and details of the Education Act of 1897.
227. An Order dated 30 April 1901, from the Charity Commissioners approving the appointment of John Watkins of Stoneleigh, Aberystwyth, Gent., to be a Non-Official Trustee of the National School.
228. An application to the Board of Education dated 18 February 1902, for an order to form a body of foundation managers for the National School.
229. A printed Order from the Board of Education dated 29 April 1902, for a Scheme concerning the Finances of the Llanbadarn Fawr Educational Foundation.
230. A letter dated 14 November 1902, from the Board of Education to Archdeacon Protheroe concerning establishing the Draft Scheme concerning the Foundations of John Jones, William Williams and an Unknown Donor.
231. A printed Memorandum from the Board of Education dated 20 December 1902, relating to the changes resulting from the Education Act of 1902, Section 11, concerning Foundation Managers for Voluntary, Public Elementary Schools.
232. A letter dated 14 March 1903 from the Cardiganshire County Council saying it would become the Local Education Authority for the Aberystwyth Public Elementary School with a copy of the information needed about the school – the size of classrooms, names and salaries of teachers, and details of Endowments.
233. Orders and forms dated 1904, dealing with the transfer of the Non-provided Schools of Cardiganshire to the local authorities.
234. A printed Return of the Non-provided Elementary Schools of Wales and Monmouthsire, dated 21 May 1906.
235. Various letters dated 1919, from the Board of Education and the Charity Commission to the Trustees concerning the finances of the Aberystwyth (Church of England) School.
236. Correspondence dated April 1922 between the Board of Education and the Rev. D. Williams, Vicar, concerning the selling of Great Western Railway Stock, held as an endowment for the Aberystwyth (Church of England) School.
237. A collection of Agreements made between the teachers and managers of the Aberystwyth National School dating from 1922 to 1933.
238. Correspondence concerning the Tithe Redemption on the National School, dated 1924.
239. An Agreement dated 1 May 1933 between the Managers of the National School and Griffith Davies of No. 10 Rheidol Terrace, Head teacher of the National School for leasing the National School House, yard, garden and premises at North Road, Aberystwyth.240-245. (E) The National School, Penparcau
240. The Minute Book of the Penparcau School Trustees from 5 February 1898 to 24 February 1925.
241. A press cutting from the ‘Welsh Gazette’ of 2 August 1900 containing an article about Penparcau, its buildings, families, and the history of the National School, and Elizabeth and Martha Pritchard, donors and managers of the School. Also written details concerning electing managers, and Deeds concerning its Endowment.
242. A letter dated 15 October 1900 from R. Keswick to Mrs Powell of Nanteos, concerning the Penparcau School Records.
243. A letter dated 14 September 1910 from E. A. L. Powell of Nanteos, to the Rev. Doctor Jones Powell, concerning a rent of one shilling for the right of way at the rear of Penparcau School which no longer need be paid.
244. A letter dated 5 December 1910 from Charles Cocks to Dr Jones Powell, enclosing a list of the original subscribers to Penparcau School.
245. An Agreement dated 14 June 1926 between the Penparcau School Managers and Ceinwen Davies as assistant teacher.246-265. (F) The Downie Bequest
246. A list of subscriptions and donations to the Aberystwyth District Visiting Society for 1859 and 1860.
247. A letter dated 4 March 1877 from Cope Sons and Healy Limited, to Messrs Hughes and Sons, relating to the case of Jones v Shaw.
248. AND 248a Two copies of a ‘Scheme for the Application of the Charitable Funds by the Will of Joseph Downie of Aberystwyth, Esq. deceased, bequeathed in aid of the Aberystwyth District Visiting Society, date 20 March 1879.
249. A Scheme dated 31 January 1880, for the Scheme for the Application of the Charitable Funds by the Will of Joseph Downie of Aberystwyth, Esq. deceased, bequeathed in aid of the Aberystwyth Infirmary.
250. A letter dated 6 February 1894 from the Charity Commission to Archdeacon Protheroe, concerning a conversion scheme affecting the Joseph and Jane Downie Bequest.
251. A letter dated 12 February 1894 from Archdeacon Protheroe to the Charity Commissioners, concerning their scheme for the Downie Bequest.
252. A letter dated April 1895 from T. P. Beddoes, concerning the appointment of Trustees to the Downie Bequest.
253. A letter dated 2 March 1896, from Hugh Hughes, 8 Market Street Aberystwyth, to one of the Charity Commissioners, asking him to use his influence in the matter of the Downie Bequest.
254. A letter dated 7 March 1896, from John D. Llewellyn, Penllegaer, Swansea, to Archdeacon Protheroe, concerning the settlement of the Downie Bequest dispute.
255. A printed collection of press cuttings from the ‘Cambrian News’, the’ Aberystwyth Observer’ and the ‘Montgomery County Times’ relating to the public meetings held during February, March and April 1896, in connection with the Downie Bequest, and including a list of the Burgesses of Aberystwyth.
256. A collection of press cuttings from the ‘Cambrian News’, the ‘Aberystwyth Observer’, and the Montgomery County Times’, relating to the public meetings held during February, March and April, 1896, in connection with the Downie Bequest.
257. The settlement dated 30 June 1896 by the Charity Commissioners of the Downie Bequest.
258. Handwritten statement by Archdeacon Protheroe, describing the late Joseph Downie as Manager of the National Provincial Bank, Aberystwyth, wine merchant, and churchman, and explaining the difficulties arising in connection with the appointment of Trustees to the Downie Bequest.
259. A letter dated 23 March, 1907, from the Charity Commissioners to Evan Evans, Esq., Aberystwyth, concerning the appointment of Trustees for the Downie Bequest.
259a. A copy of 259.
260. A letter dated 6 May 1911 from the Charity Commission to Evan Evans, Esq., detailing a scheme for the control of the Downie Bequest.
261. A letter dated 17 June 1912, from the Charity Commission to Evan Evans, Esq., suggesting a scheme for the appointment of Trustees for the Downie Bequest.
262. A printed draft dated 1912, of the Charity Commissioners’ Scheme for the administration of the Downie Bequest.
263. An Order, dated 4 February 1913, from the Charity Commission appointing new Trustees for the Downie Bequest.
264. Printed instructions for making application to the Charity Society.
265. Abstracts from certain statutes relating to the Charity Commission.266-292. (G) Miscellaneous
266. A Bond dated 21 March 1792, for securing £100, indemnifying Owen Jones, Aberystwyth, on his renouncing Administration and releasing his rights to the Effects of the late Captain Herbert, merchant, of Aberystwyth. His Will was dated the 30 June 1791.
267. An Indenture dated 30 September 1793, apprenticing Richard Rees, a poor boy chargeable to the town of Aberystwyth, to John Roberts of Clarach.
268. A Licence dated 14 October 1805 for the marriage at Saint Michael’s Chapel of John Roderick and Elinor Davies, both of Aberystwyth.
269. A Licence dated 20 June 1805, for the marriage at Saint Michael’s Chapel of Thomas Thomas of Aberystwyth and Elizabeth Evans widow of Aberystwyth.
270. Return of the Poor Rates Assessments at Aberystwyth of May 1823 for the Clerk of the House of Commons, London.
271. An Indenture dated 13 August 1855, signed by the Overseers of the Poor Aberystwyth, apprenticing Evan Owens, a poor boy chargeable to the Parish to William Page, Master of the ship Lydia.
272. An Extract from the Will of the Reverend Richard Roberts, late of Stewkley, Buckinghamshire, dated 12 July 1858, bequeathing money to the poor of Aberystwyth.
273. An Affidavit dated 29 July 1872, of George Morice and Richard Samuel concerning the need for church accommodation in Aberystwyth.
274. A printed Paper dated 14 September 1872, read before the Llandaff Ruri-Decanol Chapter by the Reverend F.W. Fuller, on the New Rubric to be introduced at the end of the Burial Service.
275. A printed Paper dated 4 November 1880, read at the Winchester Diocesan Conference, on the Infidelity and Indifferentism to Religion of the Artizan and Humbler Classes in our cities and large towns.
276. A Contract, dated 23 May 1823, between William Cullis of Victoria Street, Hereford and the Reverend J. H. Protheroe of Mountain Ash, for erecting a new church at Penrhiwceibr near Mountain Ash, Glamorgan.
277. A Plan dated 28 September 1881 for alterations to Christ Church, Aberystwyth, submitted by Middleton and Son, Cheltenham.
278. Printed booklet with the Proceedings of the Saint Asaph’s Diocesan Conference at Rhyl, dated 17 and 18 December 1889.
279. Printed Report dated April 1888 of the Committee on Clergy Pensions.
280. Printed Reports of the Llandaff Diocesan Conference dated 1884 and 1885.
281. A printed Report to the Llandaff Diocesan Conference dated 8 January 1885, concerning the work of the Committee on Church Defence and the Welsh Church Press, and some loose copies of the Welsh Church Newspaper, ‘Y Llan’; some with handwritten contributor’s names on the back.
281a. An additional copy of 281.
282. Reports of the Saint David’s Diocesan Conference for the years 1884 to 1900 inclusive.
283. The Minute Book of the Church Choral Union of the Rural Deanery of Llanbadarn Fawr for the years 1893 – 1920.
284. A Collection of printed Newspaper cuttings dealing with the Church Schools in Wales during the years 1897 to 1902.
285. A letter from the Rector of Whitechapel, Ernest A. B. Saunders, asking for aid towards the New Church at Whitechapel.
286. An undated letter from Miss Susan Williams of 8 Laura Place, Aberystwyth to Dr Jones Powell giving details of her family history.
287. A Draft of a letter, dated 10 December 1883, from ‘Justicia’ to the editor of the ‘Aberystwyth Observer’, concerning dis-establishment in Wales.
288. A copy of the ‘Aberystwyth Observer and Merionethshire News’ dated 30 January 1896, containing a notice of the death of Miss Margaret Lloyd.
289. A copy of ‘Y Llan’ dated 15 May 1885, containing an account of the history of Llanbadarn Church.
290. A copy of the ‘South Wales News’ dated 2 June 1920 containing an account of the enthronement of the Archbishop of Wales at Saint Asaph.
291. A copy of the ‘Western Mail’ dated 2 June 1920, containing an account of the enthronement of the Archbishop of Wales at Saint Asaph.
292. A copy of the ‘Sphere’ dated 12 June 1920, containing a photograph of the enthronement celebrations at Saint Asaph.
Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting