Tudalen Hafan / Home Page

Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
CDC/ED/VA: Visual Aids Department


Acc. 1696



Ref: CDC/ED/VA

Reference: [GB 0212] CDC/ED/VA
Title: Records of the Visual Aids Department
Date(s): n.d. [1960s-1970s]
Level: Fonds
Extent: 0.03m3

Administrative History:
The Visual Aids Dept. was based in Swyddfa’r Sir, Aberystwyth and acted as the official photographers to the council. They recorded official openings, new school buildings and those they replaced), major civil engineering works (bridge repairs and the building the Nant y moch dam for example) and other occasions. The head of the department was Gareth Jones.
The collection has undergone sorting and many unlabelled locations were identified but there are still many unidentified photographs left.
Apart from prints the collection contains negatives, brochures produced by the council and illustrated with images supplied by the VA dept., and miscellaneous paperwork. 
The arrangement is by location photographed.

Scope and Content:
1/1-4. Alexandra Road School, Aberystwyth

2. National School, North Road, Aberystwyth

3/1-24. Plascrug primary school, Aberystwyth

4/1-14. Penparcau School

5/1-2. Old school, Primrose Hill, Llanbadarn and Cwmpadarn School, Llanbadarn

6/1-8. Aberbanc school

7/1-28. Cardigan Junior School

8. Llanafan School

9/1-2. Llandre school

10. Llandysul school

11/1-19. Chancery and Llanfarian schools

12/1-24. Borth school

13/1-36. Penrhyncoch (school and village)

14/1-2. Bow Street and Rhydypennau schools

15/1-3. Llanon school

16/1-33. Penllwyn School, Capel Bangor

17/1-3. Trefeurig school

18/1-44. Llangwyryfon School- exhibition

19/1-28. Secondary schools’ art exhibition, Sept. 1975
     1-3 Penglais
     4 Aberaeron
     5-10 Tregaron
     11-17 Cardigan
     18-22 Llandysul
     23-28 unidentified

20/1-22. Bron Padarn and views of and from Llanbadarn

21/1-6. Unidentified concert taking place at King’s Hall, Aberystwyth

22/1-3. Copies of old photos of Borth and Ynyslas

23/1-2. North Road Health Centre, Aberystwyth

24/1-3. Views of Ponterwyd

25/1-18. Diffwys (apparently an outdoor pursuits centre in the Cardiganshire uplands) – photos of first course, c. June 1970

26/1-20. Rheidol Hydro-Electric Scheme- construction of dam, views of Nant y moch

27/1-3. Llanrhystud- bridge repair, church, list of Ysgol Myfenydd pupils

28. The VA staff on the steps of Swyddfa’r Sir

29/1-39. Felinfach Farmers’ Education Centre


Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting
Admin