Tudalen Hafan / Home Page

Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ADX/1465: Slides of local and historic interest



Acc.3364



Ref: ADX/1465

Reference: [GB 0212] ADX/1465
Title: 190 Slides of local and historic interest
Date(s): 1930-1990
Level: Fonds
Extent: 190 items
Scope and Content:

1. Churches & Church Schools (32)
2. Chapels (20)
3. Other Buildings (36)
4. Landscapes and general views (34)
5. People (17)
6. Boats and ships (10)
7. Documents (20)
8. Monastic (21)


ADX/1465/1: CHURCHES & CHURCH SCHOOLS

1. St Cynwyl’s, Aberporth, south view
June 1977

2. Drawing, ‘First Chapel of St Michael (Aberystwyth), consecrated 1787, taken down 1886'

3. St John’s, Bettws Ifan, south-east view prior to partial clearance of graveyard
June 1977

4. St John the Evangelist Priory church, Brecon, alias Brecon Cathedral, view towards north porch
April 1979

5. St Cynog’s, Defynnog, Brycheiniog, black and white photograph, view from south

6-7. St Michael and All Angels, Eglwys Newydd, Hafod, mountain panorama across churchyard (2)
1974

8. St Michael and All Angels, Eglwys Newydd, Hafod, view from churchyard
September 1978

9. St Peter’s, Elerch, photograph of black and white postcard showing eastern end with founder’s grave

10. St Pedrog, Y Ferwig, view from south-east. Vestiges of the medieval west tower can be glimpsed prior to its demolition the following year (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 400330).
July 1975

11-12. St Gwnnws’ Church, view from north (2)
1974/September 1979

13. St David’s, Llanddewi Aberarth, early Christian monument in church
June 1977

14. St Tygwydd’s, Llandygwydd, distant view from east of church rebuilt 1857 and demolished 2000
June 1975

15. St. Cynllo’s, Llangoedmore, view from east
October 1979

16. Church of St Ursula and the eleven thousand virgins, Llangwyryfon, east end from road
June 1976

17. St Hilary’s, Llanilar, view from south

18. Llanychaearn church, east window dedicated to the wife of Mathew Davies Esq. 
June 1971

19. Llanychaearn church, altar and altar screen

20. Holy Cross church, Mwnt, alias Eglwys Mwnt, church and churchyard from south. Black and white, copied image. 

21. Partrishow Church, Brecknock, west view of church from under lych gate arch, ‘Partrishow Church, Black Mts. R. Hartnup – Buildings’

22. Partrishow Church, Brecknock, rood screen
‘Rood screen, Partrishow Church, Black Mts. R. Hartnup – Buildings’

23. St Michael’s, Penbryn, south-west view
May 1975

24. Ysgoldy Rhostie, view from south of school and eastern end of church, then still roofed
1974

25. St David’s Talgarreg, west or entrance, front of church
June 1976

26. St Michael’s, Troed-yr-Aur, west gable wall with bell-cote
July 1978

27. Photograph of book showing line drawing illustration of Ysbyty Cynfyn

28. Black and white photograph or illustration, ‘The parish church of Ysbyty Cynfyn dedicated to …’

29. Churchyard gate and churchyard wall monolith, Ysbyty Cynfyn
October 1977

30. Ysbyty Cynfyn, view of church from north side of churchyard

31. Line illustration from book, ‘St John’s College School’, headmaster 1777-1818 the Rev. John Williams (see 32 (below) and ADX/1465/5/1)

32. Ysgol Ystrad Meurig, Ystrad Meurig Grammar School (see 31 (above) and ADX/1465/5/1)
August 1974


ADX/1465/2: CHAPELS

1-2. Allt-y-Blacca, Llanwnnen, view along path across graveyard. Unitarian chapel established 1741 and last rebuilt 1892 (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7368) (2)
May 1975/undated

3. Capel Bethel, Newcastle Emlyn, view across forecourt showing schoolhouse/vestry. Calvinistic Methodist chapel established 1820 and last rebuilt 1869. Now flats (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 6252).
May 1975

4. Entrance front of Bethesda Independent Chapel, Cwm Ty-Nant, built 1850, rebuilt 1881, disused by 1998, now restored (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7199)
May 1975

5. Entrance front of Bodwenog Independent Chapel (Capel Crannog), Llangrannog, built 1888 (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 12126)
May 1977

6. Bryn Seion Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Heol-y-graig, Aberporth (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7175), shown prior to conversion. 
June 1977

7. Bwlchygroes, oblique view from road of Independent chapel established in 1835 and last rebuilt 1880 (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7336).
November 1976

8. Capel-y-Wig, Llangrannog, view from south. Independent chapel established 1813 and rebuilt in 1848 (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7323)
May 1977

9. Jezreel Baptist Chapel, Goginan (1829, 1842) (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7384)
October 1977

10. View of Dyffryn Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1842, 1864) (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7386) and Jezreel Baptist Chapel (1829, 1842) (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7384), both no longer in use. 
October 1977

11-12. Entrance front of Neuadd Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Nanternis, built 1868 (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7279)
June 1976/May 1977

13. Penuel Calvinistic Methodist, later(?) English Presbyterian, chapel, Bwlch, Brycheiniog
Black and white image

14. Salem, Coed-Gruffydd, Independent chapel established 1824/5 and last rebuilt 1854 (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7403).
January 1975

15-16. Tabor-y-Mynydd Independent chapel, established 1870, demolished 1998, its dedication inscription re-sited by lakeside road (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7230). Sometimes Sbaaen or Spain, after nearby mine. Views from front and above rear, the latter showing mining remains now covered by the waters of Nant-y-Moch reservoir. Black and white, copied images

17-18. Capel Seion or Hen Gapel, Ceulan, Independent chapel established 1835 and rebuilt 1872. Now a private residence (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7200) (2)
May 1976

19. Siloa, Cwmerfyn , Independent chapel built in 1868 (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 7404)

20. Tresaith Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, shown following conversion as a private residence. Has subsequently lost more of its original architectural features, notably its large end-wall windows (RCAHMW Coflein NPRN 12115)


ADX/1465/3: OTHER BUILDINGS

1. Abermeurig, Gartheli
July 1976

2. Abernant-bychan, near Sarnau, Penbryn, view across farmyard
May 1977

3. Castell Hywel, Llanysul, monochrome image

4. Cilgerran Castle, repairs underway on tower
June 1975

5. Copy of black and white illustration, ‘Derry Ormond, south and east fronts’
1823

6. Ffosybleiddiaid, near Swydd-ffynnon, Lledrod, house with tractors
June 1977

7. Watercolour attributed to F. Nash (1782-1856) of Hafod that is thought to show the mansion as it was between 1800 and c. 1832-40 (Ceredigion VII, 161-2 pl. 3)

8. Old black and white photograph of Hafod mansion

9. Black and white Judge’s postcard, Hafod mansion

10. Hafod, Cwmystwyth, view along drive/avenue causeway to remains of mansion showing caravans
1974

11. North-west view of Kidwelly Castle
May 1975

12. Black and white photograph of Llangynfelyn vicarage, mine chimney in background

13. Llanllyr, garden front with veranda

14. Mabws Hall, Llanrhystud, black and white

15. Nanteos, entrance front from across valley
August 1974

16. Triumphal arch, entrance to stables at Nanteos

17. Copy of black and white postcard, ‘The stable yard, Nanteos’

18. Drawing room, Nanteos

19. Dining room, Nanteos

20. Library, Nanteos

21. Ruins of mansion, Peterwell, Lampeter

22. Melin Llynnon, Llanddeusant, Anglesey, viewed prior to restoration
August 1978

23. Pont Capel Dewi, Llandysul
May 1975

24. Pont Llanfair Clydogau
August 1974

25. Pont Llanon West side of the Peris bridge on the A487 from riverbank. Regular large stone blocks, single segmental arch, since replaced by concrete bridge.
April 1978

26. ‘Parc Rhyddech’ – mislabelled slide, painting of romantic thatched cottage

27. Plas Gogerddan, north or entrance front
September 1974

28. Black and white photograph, ‘Plas Llangoedmore’

29. Engraving of entrance front, Trawscoed

30. Trawscoed, entrance front
May 1975

31. Garden Front, Trawscoed
April 1976

32. Black and white postcard, Ty Glyn Aeron

33. Copy of black and white photograph, unidentified farm

34. Black and white photograph, unidentified mansion interior

35. View across unidentified upland farm

36. Unidentified engraving of mansion set amid terraced gardens


ADX/1465/4: LANDSCAPES & GENERAL VIEWS

1. Engraving, ‘Market at Aberystwyth, pub. for S. Ireland, March 1797’

2. Painting, ‘Snowdon from Llanberis lakes’, c. 1797

3. Engraving, ‘View from Tomen y Bala’
c. 1799

4. Naïve late eighteenth-early nineteenth century painting of the Snowdon summit

5. Cameo painting or coloured sketch, ‘Sugar-loaf hill from the gate of Ragland-castle

6-7. Stylised engravings of Snowdonia, looking towards and away from the mountain

8. Sketch of road traversing mountain pass (possibly Bwlch-y-Gwyddel near Snowdon)

9. Coloured engraving by John Warwick Smith, ‘Continuation of the new road from Bwlch y groes towards Bala, above Cwm Llwyd, water’d by the Afon Einion and looking to the Arran Benllyn’
17 August 1797

10. Painting on page from sketchbook, 'Foel Drygarn, Preceli'

11. J. M. W. Turner, Dolbadarn Castle, painting
c. 1800

12. Engraving of the castle, Castle House and St Michael’s, Aberystwyth

13. Black and white photograph, view down Great Darkgate Street towards North Parade, Aberystwyth, quarries on hill beyond
1880s-1890s

14. Black and white postcard, signed Britis, ‘Trerddol [Tre’r-ddôl] showing river Dovey [Dyfi]’
Late 19th-early 20th century

15. Copy of black and white photograph, Temperance Hotel, chapel and bridge, Llanilar

16. Black and white photograph, clearing up storm debris at Borth
1920s-1930s

17. General view of Cwmystwyth hamlet
September 1969

18. Pont Llechryd
View from downstream, south bank. Dredging or repair, using a mechanical digger, is underway by the northernmost arch.
September 1972

19. View looking east from Castell Flemish, Tregaron in distance
1974

20. Cenarth falls
June 1975

21. View upstream along Afon Brenig from Tregaron Bridge
25 October 1975

22. Llanddewi Brefi, view across school and cemetery
28 October 1975

23. Cyneiniog, view up valley from below mine
September 1976

24. View across Llyn Eiddwen with the ruins of the Tredwell’s Castle folly tower (see 25-6)
May 1976

25. View from north across Llyn Eiddwen, Tredwell’s Castle isle in distance (see 24, 26)
August 1981

26. Llyn Eiddwen and Tredwell’s Castle isle (see 23, 25)
August 1981

27. Nant-y-Moch reservoir, dried bed during drought
June 1984

28. Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, view from north

29. Craig, Llangrannog
May 1977

30. Llanrhystud, Shell Garage and modern highway bridge
May 1975

31. Church Street, Llanrhystud

32. Ystrad Meurig, camp or caravan site at north end of railway embankment across Cors Caron
September 1974

33. ‘Caer Llwyd’
View looking east to the East Gate along Eastgate, Chester
22 July 1978

34. Unlocated upland panorama


ADX/1465/5: PEOPLE

1. Engraving from a portrait of the Rev. John Williams, ‘Yr Hen Syr’, headmaster of Ystrad Meurig Grammar School 1777-1818 (see ADX/1465/1/31-2)

2. Detail from portrait of John Elias, ‘the Methodist Pope’, 1774-1841

3. Portrait of unidentified female

4. Drawing signed DP, ‘Snatching etc. Salmon under the Old Weir Aberayron 1884’
1884

5. Black and white photograph showing festive crowds amid bunting outside the Feathers Royal Hotel, Aberaeron (see ADX/1465/7/18)
1880s-1900s

6. Copy of black and white photograph, ‘Earl of Lisburn coming of age, Llanafan school children at Crosswood mansion

7. Copy of black and white photograph, al fresco prize giving?

8. Copy of black and white photograph, laden dray and men, possibly at a show-ground

9. Black and white photograph, stout gentleman with a variety of objects, tools and implements, notably a plough, all parts of which are numbered

10. Copy of black and white photograph, horse, foal and dog in river, summer house on far bank

11. Copy of black and white illustration of peat cutters on Cors Caron, Welsh language caption

12. Black and white photograph, knitting women outside Cardigan town hall
1880s-1900s

13. Black and white photograph of passive resistance sale held on the steps of Bank House, Bridge Street, Aberystwyth, in protest at the ‘Church Rate’ financing Church Schools
4 October 1905

14. Copy of black and white photograph, crowd in and around wagon, poster for amateur concert at the Corn Market in background

15. Black and white photograph from publication, ‘Trench Making on Beach in War Time (1915)’

16. Black and white photograph of a remembrance ceremony, service or similar, unidentified location

17. Screenshot of television showing Jawaharial Nehru


ADX/1465/6: BOATS & SHIPS

1. Engraving, ‘Aberayron 1832’, the harbour in rough weather

2. Painting of lifeboat or similar, in high seas off Aberystwyth pier

3. Painting or engraving of lifeboat or similar, in rough seas with wreckage off Aberystwyth Castle

4. Painting of four mast sailing vessel ‘Dowan Hill’ of 1976 tons. This was a steel barque launched at Port Glasgow in 1893, sold into Norwegian ownership and sunk by German submarine when named ‘Snig’ in 1917.
1893-1911

5. Painting of unidentified two mast vessel, off Bari(?)

6. Painting of unidentified three mast vessel by Fitzroy of London

7. Painting of unidentified three mast vessel

8. Primitive painting of unidentified two mast vessel

9. Black and white photograph of steam and sail powered warship seen from astern

10. Naïve drawing or painting, ‘Departure of the Channel Fleet (2nd Division) from Aberystwyth on 5 August. Castle headland in foreground, seven battleships steam away.
1907


ADX/1465/7: DOCUMENTS

1. Theater Aberystwyth poster, ‘By particular desire and positively the last night of the Welsh Ballet’, performing, ‘the popular comedy of the Wonder, A Woman Keeps A Secret’, ‘the Ballet of the Welsh Sailor Boy and the coquet of the Bwlch’, and other acts.
14 August 1839

2. Poster for Mr Bass’ Hunt Week theatre season at Cardigan Town Hall commencing 26 October with the play, ‘Hunchback’, and the highly laughable farce, ‘Spectre Bridegroom or a Ghost in Spite of Himself’
Handwritten note, ‘400 copies’
1840

3. Theatre poster for St Mary Street, Cardigan, programme for the evening of 18 November 1840 that included, ‘Litto’s ‘celebrated tragedy of George Barnwell or, the London Merchant’, and ‘’Twas I! or a festival of La Rosiere’
1840

4. Poster advertising Mr Fitzgerald’s Third and Last Appearance in Cardigan, to feature sketches in character and ventriloquism, to be held in the ballroom of the Black Lion Hotel
1840

5. Poster for the New Theatre, Cardigan, advertising a performance on 8 November including the musical petite comedy, ‘Animal Magnetism’, and the laughable farce, ‘Illustrious Stranger or Married and Buried’
1843

6. Poster for the New Theatre, Cardigan, advertising a performance on 17 November including the musical petite comedy, ‘Loan of a Lover’, and the laughable domestic interlude, ‘Love in Humble Life or the Noble Hussar’
1843

7. Salvation Army Post, ‘Blood and Fire! Bombardment of Aberystwyth on Sunday, August 27th, 1882’
1882

8. Poster or bill for an eisteddfod meeting at Lampeter(?) with an advert for Lewis’ Vegetable Bitters
1893

9. Poster, ‘Most positively and assuredly the Last Three Performances … of the Clairvoyant Lady’, to be made at the Black Lion Hotel, Cardigan
>1901

10. Manuscript, ‘The Poetmaking Stone No. 1’. This natural stone was found under Clogwyn du yr arddu, on the northern flank of Snowdon, and the description given here matches the dimensions given in 11, below. It was said that whoever slept under the rock for a night would awake as either a poet or a madman (see ADX/1465/4/11 for likely illustration)

11. Hand-written document, ‘Dimensions of the Maen du/feet’. This monument consisted of two stones, being 24’ (7.3m) high overall, there being a space, ‘large enough to shelter one man’. Its flora included bilberries, white clover and wood sorrel. The writer stayed from 11 to 1 (see 10, above, for description and ADX/1465/4/11 for likely illustration)
This is the ‘Poetmaking Stone’ below Clogwyn du yr arddu on Snowdon

12. Painting on page from sketchbook, great rock on mountainside with lake below, possibly the Poetmaking Stone (ADX/1465/7/10-11) and Llyn Peris

13. Advertisement from book from Cardiganshire Joint Library with an advertisement for the Waterloo Hydro Hotel, Aberystwyth, detailing the Electric Treatments available there

14. Advertisement, from a trade directory or similar, for the Waterloo Hydro Hotel, Aberystwyth

15. Opening page of section of book, ‘The Town and County Supply, Market Street, Aberystwyth’, giving details of available tea and coffee

16. Page from Welsh language programme with advertisement for John Lloyd Lewis, manufacturing chemist of Aberayron

17. Advertisement, ‘Turn all your butter into gold by using Clements’ New Butter Colour’, also Clements’ “Sheep Dip” (non-poisonous), both sold by John Lloyd Lewis, manufacturing chemist of Aberayron. Has advertisement for Lewis’ Rheumatic Essences

18. Page from publication, programme for ‘Afternoon Meeting’, presided over by the Venerable Archdeacon Griffiths, continued in that found above. Has advertisement for Lewis’ Rheumatic Essences

19. Poster advertising the Feathers Royal Hotel, Aberayron (see ADX/1465/5/3), alluding to the Eisteddfod, overlain by programme for concert or entertainment, featuring Mr Jones of that establishment, being a continuation of that found below

20. Advertisement for Angel’s Milk Food


ADX/1465/8: MONASTIC

1. Strata Florida, view down nave

2. Tintern, general view

3. Tintern, crossing

4. Tintern, Alan Sorrell reconstruction from visitor centre

5. Valle Crucis Abbey, general view

6. Valle Crucis Abbey interior, Allan Sorrell reconstruction

7. Neath Abbey, crypt

8. Unidentified monastic building

9-17.Finds and other monastic objects on display

18-21. Contemporary illustrations of monastic life


Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting
Admin