Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ADX/1418: Genealogy Research, Davies and James of Cwmystwyth
[GB 0212] ADX/1418Title:
Genealogy research, Davies and James families of CwmystwythDate(s):
13 itemsScope and Content:
Documents dated from October 1952 to May 1984 concerning family research by Mr. Mydrim L. Timothy of 5 Prospect Street, Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire, about the James family of Cwmystwyth, Cardiganshire, who emigrated to the USA, and including their family tree. Correspondence with Mr. Arthur H. James, a lawyer, judge and former USA Governor of Pennsylvania who died in 1973, his daughter Dorothy and her husband attorney Frank A. Sinon, and with USA attorney David U. Spry and his wife, also with Judge Benjamin R. Jones and Mrs. Baden Powell Roberts. Mr. Timothy kept copies of his letters to these people.
Family tree of the James and Davies families of Cwymystwyth spanning the years 1726 – 1952.
Copy of the family tree above with a few house or farm names added.
Scraps of paper with details copied by Mr. Timothy from parish registers concerning the James and Davies families.
Letters between Mydrim L. Timothy, of 5 Prospect Street, Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire and Arthur H. James Esq. of 112 Church Street, Plymouth, Pennsylvania, U. S. A. and also to Frank A. Sinon Esq. of State Street Building, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, U. S. A. concerning the James and Davies families. With mention of Stephen S. Benbow and his wife Elizabeth (5), the Calvinistic Methodist Church at Cwmystwyth (6) and details of photographs of Cwmystwyth sent to Arthur H. James.
28 October 1952 - 2 December 1953
Report in pencil of Arthur H. James’s visit to Aberystwyth.
Copy of a report in the Pennsylvania Manual of the birth and career of Arthur H. James, 1883 to 1938, sent by Arthur H. James to Mydrim Timothy.
Handwritten account of the life of Arthur H. James. In Welsh.
Four daily newspapers: The Bristol Courier dated 23 February 1953, 24 February 1953, 25 February 1953 and 26 February 1953 containing articles about the former Governor of Pennsylvania, Arthur H. James by Paul Pedigo.
23 - 26 February 1953
Three small items.
1. Label with details of a gift of food items for Mr M. L. Timothy from Arthur H. James.
2. Sticky label with the addresses
3. Card of Frank A. Sinon, Attorney at Law of Rhoads and Simon, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, hand written on the reverse by his wife, Dorothy James Sinon, thanking Mr. Timothy for his research, and saying that her father Governor James died in 1973. 25 September 1984
1. Letter to Mydrim Timothy, 5 Prospect Street, Aberystwyth, from Judge Benjamin Jones of Orphan’s Court, Luzerne County, Wilkes Barre, Pennysylvania, U. S. A. He says Governor James had been pleased with the research on his family, and gives details of the Judge’s family, his father, John C. Jones and Elizabeth Rowlands, both born in Goginan, Cardiganshire, and their descendants in America. Mentions Miss Ann Rowlands of Bow Street, and Trevor Jones the postmaster at Ponterwyd, Cardiganshire. He thought the Jones family were from Tredegar. On the maternal side of the Judge’s family his grandparents were Henry G. Williams born in Cwmgeiwth near Ystralefern and Ystradgunlais, South Wales, and his wife Elizabeth Lewis born in Carmarthen. Mentions Betsy Williams and her daughter Mrs. Winifred Jones then living in Ystradgunlais.
2. Reply by Mr. Timothy, concerning researching Goginan records, and his comments on the growth of an Anglo-Welsh Society, and ‘Welsh society that is slowly disintegrating’.
3. Handwritten list of Benjamin R. Jones’s ancestors.
2 September 1953 - 14 October 1953
Five letters and Christmas cards, received by Mr. Mydrim l. Timothy from Mrs David .U. Spry, (Agnes) the sister of Arthur H. James, 111 South York Street, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania,
1. (Includes copy of Mr. Timothy’s reply). Mrs. Spry’s mother was from Neath, and she had other Welsh ancestors who emigrated to the U.S A. She mentions Isaac J. Edwards, born in 1922, a farmer, and a Pastor Dr, R. P. Davies of Neath Glamorganshire who was in Pennsylvania but returned to be a Presbyterian minister near London. No connections to the James family were mentioned.
2. Christmas card with a written message about research given to Arthur H. James.
3. Letter from Agnes James Spry. Her mother was Rachel P. Edwards, a daughter of James P. Edwards and Sarah Jenkins Edwards, her father was born in Pembrokeshire, and wed in Merthyr Tydfil.
29 June 1954.
4. Further letter from Mrs. Spry concerning Mr Timothy’s research.
23 October 1953
5. Christmas card from Mrs. Spry with details about her family.
5 December 1954.
Letter to Mr. M. L. Timothy from Mrs. Mildred Baden Powell Roberts of 304 Main Street, Plymouth, Pennsylvania, USA whose husband was the first cousin of Arthur James, with details of her husband’s mother Megan James remembered by Ann Morgan. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts were about to visit Aberystwyth. There is also a copy of Mr Timothy’s reply. He offers to show them around Aberystwyth, and mentions that Miss Ann Morgan was eighty two a few weeks ago.
3 May 1955 and 23 May 1955.
Five empty envelopes from the USA which Mr. Timothy kept.
Bound printed volume: Final message of the Governor Arthur H. James to the General Assembly of Pennsylvania. January 5, 1943
. Bound edition numbered 73.
Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting