Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ABY/WH: Aberystwyth Yesterday Women and Home
Acc. 2551Ref: ABY/WHReference:
Aberystwyth Yesterday Women and HomeDate(s):
2 boxes Scope and Content
Material directed towards a female audience and relating to needlework, fashion, cooking, housekeeping, children etc. Publications on these subjects reflect the contemporary attitude to women (although one could ask whether things have really
changed that much)ABY/WH/1Crafts: Knitting, Crochet, Needlework etc.1. Knitting Patterns
1. Knitting Pattern - Templeton No. 1038 'Brother and Sister Set', Boy's and Girl's Jersey.
2. Knitting Pattern - Copley No. 413 'Baby Orlon', Pram Coat, Bonnet, Helmet and Mitts.
3. Knitting Pattern - Weldon's A1150 'Two Knitted Caps', Angora Cap and Petal Cap.
4. Knitting Pattern - Weldon's No. 286 'Billy Bear'.
5. Knitting Pattern - Paton's c-470 'Quickerknit Botany Pullover'.
6. Knitting and Crochet Patterns - Jay Brand Plastic Thread 'Instructions for Knitting and Crocheting' including Floral Brooch, Bracelet, Necklet, Table Mats, Serviette Ring.
7. Knitting Pattern - Bestway No. 1081 'Children's Long Socks with Fair Isle Borders'.
8. Knitting Pattern - Sirday No. 407 Children's Stockings (Age 10 to 12 years).
9. Knitting and Crochet Patterns - Stitchcraft Teen Age Book including Polo-necked Pullover, Mittens, Crochet Hat, Waistcoat, Socks, Sleeveless Pullover, Twin Set, Sun Top and Trunks, Cardigan, Warm Panties.
10. Knitting Pattern - Bairnswear No. 1322 'Sleeveless Pullovers', 6 to 8 years.
11. Knitting Pattern - Barinswear No. 733 'Man's Lumber Cardigan'.
c. 1940s - 1950s
12. Knitting and Crochet Pattern - Bestway B2587 Knitted and Crocheted Tea and Egg Cosies.
13. Knitting Pattern - Bestway A2464 Gloves for Two Pins.
14. Knitting Pattern - Bestway A2464 Gloves for 4 Needles.
15. Knitting Pattern -Bestway A2829 'Brightly Coloured Waistcoats', girl's and boy's 3 - 4 years.
16. Knitting Pattern -Weldon's A908 Four Balaclava Helmets, ages 1 - 8 years.
17. Knitting Pattern - Stitchcraft 'Tinies Book', 'Woollies for 6 to 18 month old babies'.
18. Knitting Pattern - Weldon's A739 Fair Isle Cardigan 6 - 8 years.
19. Knitting Patterns - 'The Natty Knit Book', supplement to Women's Way.
16 January 1937
20. Knitting Pattern - No. 4 'Viyella' Knitting Book, Babies' Garments.
21. Knitting Pattern - Lady's Bathing Suit 'Una' design.
22. Knitting Pattern - Lady's Bathing Suit 'Thelma' design.
23. Knitting Pattern - Lady's Bathing Wrap 'Delia' design.
24. Knitting Pattern - Lee Target 1315 Men's Gloves and Ladies' Gloves (2 sizes).
c. 1940s - 1950s
25. Knitting and Crochet Patterns - Weldon's Series No. 400, Doll's Wear.
15 October 1937
26. Knitting Patterns - Woolworth's Knitting Magazine 'Patterns for the family in knitting and crochet'.
27. Knitting Pattern - Bestway Leaflet 1454 'Charming Jumper, short or long sleeves'. Shop stamp: D.I. Evans, Walsall Stores, Talybont.
Late 1930s - early 1940s
28. Knitting Pattern - Bestway Leaflet 1493 'Fair Isle Gloves'
29. Knitting Patterns - H.G. Twilley Ltd., leaflet no. 215, 'Gloves knitted in Lyscordet'
n.d. 1930s - 1940s
30. Loose pages from Woman's Weekly containing knitting patterns 'Knitting for the Menfolk': 'The Socks' 'The Cardigan' and 'A Sleeveless Pull-over'
25 February 1933
31. Knitting Pattern - Bestway Leaflet 655 'Twin Set (3-ply)'.
32. Knitting Pattern - Bestway Leaflet 1416 'Two Pairs of Gloves'.
33. Knitting Pattern - Bestway Leaflet 1548 'Ladies' Twin Set'. Damaged.
34. Knitting Pattern - Bestway Leaflet 1998 'Two-Colour Twin Set'.
35. Knitting Pattern - Weldon's Leaflet No. 548 'Two-Colour Fair Isle Jumper'.
36. Knitting Pattern - Weldon's Leaflet A742 'Cabled Cardigan'.
37. Knitting Pattern magazine- Stitchcraft, including nursery motifs, cosy and traycloth, cami knickers, hat and gloves, knitted owl, bell patterned jumper.
38. Knitting Pattern magazine- Stitchcraft, including jacket and beret, cami-knickers, table mats, bobble stitch jumper, patchwork cot and jumper, bobble-rib stitch, moss stitch and ribbing with a rose-bud pattern.
39. Knitting Pattern - Hand Knit-wear in Lavenda Leaflet No. 915, 'Rainbow Jumper (long or short sleeves)'.
40. Knitting Pattern - Hand Knit-wear in Lavenda Leaflet No. 915, 'Voiga Jumper (long or short sleeves)'.
41. Knitting Pattern - P & B Wools Leaflet No. 216, 'Twin Set'.
42. Knitting Pattern - P & B Wools Leaflet No. 230, 'Waistcoat'.
43. Knitting patterns - P & B Wools booklet No. 625, 'Six Vests by P&B'.
44. Knitting Pattern - Western Mail Pattern Service, 'Two-Tone Jumper with Lattice Yoke'.
45. Knitting Pattern - Scotchwool & Hosiery Stores, Series H No. 1. 'Lady's Jumper'.
46. Knitting Pattern - Ladyship Leaflet No. 244, 'Lady's Knitted Gloves', missing section.
47. Knitting Pattern - Patons & Baldwins' Helps to Knitters No. 3102, 'Lady's Cardigan'.
48. Knitting Pattern - one sheet, 'Raglan Cardigan with V neck'.
49. Knitting Pattern - Copley's Leaflet No. 1193, 'Lady and Man's Gloves'. Damaged.
50. Knitting Pattern - The Hema Brand Leaflet No. 430, 'Gent's Pullover'. Fragile.
51. Knitting Pattern - Jaeger Roy Leaflet No. 170, 'Cable Pattern Sweater'.
52. Knitting Patterns - Jaeger Hand-Knit Light-Weight Jumpers magazine No. 25.
53. Knitting Booklet - 'Woolcraft: A Practical Guide to Knitting & Crochet', Patons & Baldwins LTD.
54. Knitting Pattern Magazine - Bestway No. 523, 'Matinee Coats, Caps, Bonnets & Bootees'. Fragile.
55. Knitting Pattern Magazine - Bestway No. 533, 'Bedroom Wear in Knitting in Crochet'.
56. Knitting Pattern Magazine - Weldon's Jumpers, Sixpenny Series No. 321.
57. Knitting Patterns - Baby's Complete Layette (first 6 months) Booklet No. 596.
n.d.2. Needlework Patterns
1. Braid Stitch Pattern - appears to be typed on a page torn from a book and hand illustrated. It also appears that there is a watermark on the paper as 'HIER
(a vegetable) IS'. Labelled 'Aberystwyth'.
13 February 1914
2. Irish lace instructions.
3. Needlework notebook belonging to Gwyneth Eirlys Hughes.
4. Basic Sewing Guide, printed and published by Associated British Paper Patterns Ltd.
5. Le Roy Pattern Instruction chart 576 for a jacket.
6. Butterick soft-tailored button-front blouse pattern 6045.
7. Weldon's So-Easy Pattern No. 50 'Pretty Undies'.
8. Vogue hat pattern 510, labelled 'Miss G Davies'.
9. Woman's Day Couture Pattern Number 122, 2 dress patterns.
10. Vogue pattern 6606, hat/turban pattern.
11. Woman's Weekly Spring Patterns, 'Six leisurewear looks for you to sew'.
12. Weldon's Practical Needlework no. 367 vol. 31: Floral Embroidery
13. Weldon's Practical Needlework no. 196: Make, Mend & Patch
14. Fancy Needlework Illustrated, Vol. 1., No. 10. Damaged.
n.d. 3. Wool Leaflets
1. Knitting Supplement showing models wearing Paton's & Baldwin's Ltd designs.
2. Welsh Woollen Manufacturer's Association Limited - Booklet of compliments and comments on Welsh wool and mills.
3. Leaflet 'What we weave are Welsh Woollens'.
c. 1960s4. Miscellaneous Items
1. Embroidery transfer Q29502 'Deighton's Improved Transfers Made in '(?) depicting a bunch of daffodils.
2. Instruction book for the Victoria Automatic Improved Knitting Machine.
3. 'Plan of Rushcart', a loose page detailing structure and aerial view of a rushcart.
n.dABY/WH/2Home, cookery etc1. Personal Recipe Books
1. Gwen Davies' 'Cookery notes and recipes', handwritten recipe book.
First date given as 13 July 1914
2. Recipe book containing newspaper clippings and handwritten recipes. Includes clippings of 'economy' recipes from the First World War.
First entry dated 17 February 1917
3. Handwritten recipe book containing 3 different handwritings. Initial recipe index at front.
n.d2. Assorted cookery leaflets
2 printed publications (an advertisement from Brown & Polson's and a Ministry of Food cookery calendar August/September 1951); typed recipe instructions for a demonstration to College Women's club at Belle Vue Hotel, Aberystwyth, 2.30pm 13th December 1956; scrap paper with recipe for marmalade; a reprint regarding Oslo breakfast.3. 100 ideas booklets
1. 100 ideas for Tea
2. 100 ideas for Supper
3. 100 ideas for puddings & sweets
19474. Home Notes Booklets
1. No. 1146, 25 December 1915
2. No. 1817, 17 November 19285. Other Publications
1. Housework with ease by T McClurg Anderson (Director, The Institute of Human Kinetics)
Reprint June 1962
2. The Preservation of Fruit and Vegetables including bottling and jam making, second edition by D. D. Cottington Taylor.
3. Printed booklet: Recipes. Owner's inscription: E.M. Watkins.
Late 1920s-early 1930sABY/WH/3Women's magazines1. My Home
1. November c. 1920s
2. April 1929
3. December 19332. Modern Woman
1. 1931 Vol. XI No. 68 3. Woman's Sphere
1. May 1936 Vol. 2 No. 7
2. August 1936 Vol. 2 No. 10 4. Women & Home
1. March 1942
2. November 19455. Modern Home
1. December 1929 No. 156. Wife & Home
1. February 19487. Betty's Paper
1. 22 August 1925 No. 1468. The Queen, The Lady's Newspaper
1. 13 December 18909. The Lady's World
1. November 1924 Vol. XXVII10. The Penny Pictorial
1. 24 December 1910 Special Holiday Number.11. The Premier - Leading Fiction Magazine
1. 29 July (no year specified)12. Woman's Own
1. Let's Dance Supplement
c. 1950s13. The New Magazine
1. August 190914. The London Magazine
1. August 1919 Vol. XLII No. 10615. Woman's Weekly
1. 10 December 195516. The Home Magazine
1. 3 March 1900 No. 98 Vol. IV17. Nash's Magazine
1. August 1910 No. 1718. The Housewife Magazine
1. July 189819. The Ladies' Home Paper Magazine
1. 17 December 1910
2. 24 December 1910 (includes some drawings that appear to have been painted)
3. 11 December 1911
4. 21 January 191120. Woman's Life Magazine
1. 4 November 1905
2. 13 January 1906
3. 30 June 1906
4. 21 July 1906
5. 27 October 1906
6. 29 November 192421. Home Companion Magazine
1. 14 January 1911
2. 21 January 1911
3. 28 January 1911
4. 18 February 1911
5. 25 June 1938 (special bridal edition)22. Home Chat
1. 30 July 1910
2. 7 January 1911
3. 28 January 1911
4. 18 February 1911
5. 25 July 1925
6. 13 July 194623. Vogue
1. May 1941
2. July 1941
3. November 1941 ABY/WH/4Advertising ephemera etc.1. Pompeian Beauty Soap
These are advertising panels for Pompeian Soap, each with colour illustration of the soap's female user, sometimes with a gentleman for company. Calendar on reverse, for the following years:
5. 19262. Advertising Booklets and Catalogues
1. Pryce Jones Catalogue Autumn and Winter
2. 'The Bride and her Attendants' Weldon's Bridal Fashions
3. Femina Fashion Outerwear
4. Babette baby carriages (perambulators). 'There is only one Babette; your sales will prove it'
5. Price list of Toilet and Household Soaps, Joshua Margerison & Co., Ltd.
1 September 1934
ABY/WH/4/2/5, front and back cover
6. Booklet of 'The Latest and Most Up-to-date Ladies' and Gentlemen's Hairdressing and Toilet Saloons in Aberystwyth', W. Alder.
1. Autumn Hats for Girls and Ladies in 1926 from Spencer Turner & Boldero Ltd, Lisson Grove, London, NW1. 'Grove Headwear'.
2. Poster (in two pieces) 'Latest Styles in Net & Buckram Shapes Spring 1926'. Melles & Co.4. Loose pamphlets and pages
1. The Butterick Fashion Guide p. 195
2. W Alder advertising leaflet for Hairdressing and Toilet Saloons in Aberystwyth.
3. Weldon's Illustrated Dressmaker Leaflet, March.
4. Leach's family dressmaker No. 5 Home Life Magazine January
5. Pages 885-888 pulled from The Delineator
6. Pages 7, 8, 13, 14 pulled from a furs catalogue.
Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting