Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ABY/PC/1/1: Aberystwyth Yesterday: Postcards to Victoria Jones
Acc. 2551Ref: ABY/PC/1/1Reference:
Postcards to Victoria Jones of Aberystwyth Date(s):
78 itemsScope and ContentABY/PC/1/1
Picture postcards addressed to Victoria Jones (b. 1904) and others at 11 Cambrian Place Aberystwyth. In 1911 the seven year old Catherine Victoria was the only living child of William Henry and Mary Elizabeth Jones, William Henry being recorded as a tinsmith and as an employer. On at least one occasion, Mrs Jones took in holiday boarders. R.J. Jones was an earlier correspondent at the same address.
The earliest card was sent in March 1903 and the latest in 1915, although most date from the period between the summer of 1904 and that of 1907. Relatives in Caernarfon were among the most regular correspondents, some of their messages written as if from 'dear little cousin' Nellie who was 'trying to speak' in 1905 and could, 'say uncle from last week'. Adult news could be conveyed through Victoria, as with the death of their servant's father in a quarry accident (No. 19). Baby correspondences were also kept up with Dora and Babs in Aberystwyth, who could be met with along the promenade or on the beach. Important topics included teeth and teething.
1. Tinted view of Aberglaslyn Pass posted at Caernarvon and addressed to Mr R.J. Jones, 'Received views this morning, hoping you are enjoying yourself. I feel rather awkward in school to-day after holidays. Kind regards from Jeannie'.
11 ?March 1903
2. Pwllheli and St Tudwall Islands posted at Pwllheli and addressed to Mr R.J. Jones, Welsh message below picture can be translated as, 'Nobody in the world knows where to find you, M'.
3 August 1903
3. Costume studio photograph, 'Les Chanson de Botrel, 318', posted in Caernarfon and addressed to Miss Catherine Victoria Jones, 'My dear little Cousin, I am sure you will be pleased to have a line from your dear little cousin I do hope you will come and see me soon I am improving every day hoping you are the same, your cousin Nellie'.
30 August 1904
4. Tinted photograph of The Park, Caernarvon, posted in Caernarfon and addressed to Mrs M. E. Jones, 'My dear cousin, very sorry to tell you that my dear mother was taken very ill yesterday just the same as when I was in Aberystwyth thinking that we will loosing her she is a shade better today but very feverish will let-you know again hoping she will recover soon E. E.'
19 September 1904
5. Photograph of two children looking out at the snow from a gothic window with poem, 'Little Robin Tapping on the Pane'. Sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Love to Baby J. from baby S.'
1 October 1904
6. Sepia studio photograph of child in sash (Viennese) posted in Aberystwyth and addressed to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Victoria, Oh dear I was so glad to get home we wont go again till we grow big was your starving I was Come and see me to morrow the doctor is going to cut my harm wont I kick him Dora x.'
17 October 1904
7. Sepia photograph of baby reclining in furs and shawls, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Love from Dora x', written on picture.
23 October 1904
8. Studio photograph of two children in costume posted in Aberystwyth and addressed to Miss Victoria Jones, 'My Dear Victoria, I hope your-cold is better to day. Heaps of love and kisses from Babs xxxxxxxx'.
30 October 1904
9. Studio portrait of child in costume with pipe and ukulele, posted in Aberystwyth and addressed to Miss Victoria Jones, message below picture, 'Love from baby S. to Victoria J. xxxx.'
6 November 1904
10. Studio photograph of two children in costume posted in Aberystwyth and addressed to Miss Victoria Jones, message below picture, 'Dear Victoria how is your poor arm wont it be nice when we grow big like this Dora'.
13 November 1904
11. Viennese studio portrait of coy child in amusingly adult costume, posted in Aberystwyth and addressed to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Love from Dora', written across picture.
4 December 1904
12. Photograph of four kittens, 'In Flowerland', sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic, Will you go for a walk tomorrow if it is fine I don't like this Cold Love from Dora x'. 'Wish we had one of these little dears', written below picture.
11 December 1904
13. Studio portrait of child, posted in Aberystwyth and addressed to Miss V. Jones, 'Wishing Victoria a happy time(?), Laura.'
25 December 1904
14. Coloured illustration of warmly dressed child waiting on snowy doorstep, snowballs in hand, 'Waiting for Daddy'. Sent from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones. 'My dear little cousin Many thanks for the nice [...] - you sent - me the only thing I [wanted] to keep my little hands warm. I thought of sending you something by Xmas but mamma did not get out because I was [troubled] with my little arm but I am coming on nicely I will write you a long letter some day and tell you my little tricks. I can dance very well. I hope you will be pleased with the little sweet [...] I am sending you. Also a pair of slippers for you to go to the Ball. Love to all from Nellie'.
30 December 1904
15. Humorous photograph of kitten, 'A day with pussy. The walk, "What's old dolly laughing at?"'. Sent from Aberystwyth to Miss V. Jones, 'Dear Vic, glad you are better hope mamma is better to day happy new year to all, Babs'.
1 January 1905
16. Photograph of sad, well-dressed child with dog, 'Waiting for Daddy'. Sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Vic Jones, 'Dear Victoria, hope you are better oh dear have you got a tooth yet I hasnt. Love & Kisses from Babs'.
13 January 1905
17. Coloured photographic portrait of child with dog sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Vic Jones, message written around picture, 'Dear Vic thats just what we will do shall I call for you or will you call for me dont tell anyone heaps of love Babs'.
29 January 1905
18. Photograph of crying baby in high-chair, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic hope you are well Love from Babs xxx oh Dear me I am [...] all the time'.
12 February 1905
19. Coloured photograph of dog and child, 'Friends ever'. Sent from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones, 'My dear Vic. Many thanks for your nice card this morning mamma thought of writing every day but we have been greatly upset - our servant's father has been killed in the Quarry and was buried yesterday and we have been all so bad Nain is still poorly but mamma is better. What do you think I have got a tooth since fortnight to - Mamma was thinking to write to tell you ever since but - been so upset - and poorly. I am a lot better but not been out - since two months. I should like to see you dear little cousin Mamma will write ... from Nellie'.
16 February 1905
20. Photograph of child with (larger) great Dane, 'Her Guardian'. Posted from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Victoria hope you are well I have not been out since I was with you do come and see me Babs'.
26 February 1905
21. Photograph of child knitting in adult glasses, sent from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones, 'My dear Vic I wish you many happy returns of the day. I can say Mam and Bada since about three [...] ago and I can say uncle since last week. You can see that I am very sharp. Love to you all mama is very busy ... your little cousin Nellie'.
28 February 1905
22. Coloured picture of small child with dog, posted in Aberystwyth and addressed to Miss Victoria Jones, 'My Dear Vic To wish you many happy returns of the day. Love from Babs'.
1 March 1905
23. Photograph of baby in tin bath, 'A knight of the bath'. Posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Victoria dont go to Church to night Come and see me here ... Babs'.
5 March 1905
24. Coloured photograph of girl and dog by pond, posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Victoria It is a lovely day to go a walking Love from xxx Babs'.
19 March 1905
25. Coloured picture of child brushing her teeth, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic Thanks so much you the nice ride I had with you hope you are well I have got a bad Cold Love & kisses from Babs'.
26 March 1905
26. Coloured picture of girl with tennis racket and dog with basket, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Vic Jones, 'Dear Vic hope you are well hope we shall go out on the prom to morrow. Love & Kisses from Babs'.
2 April 1905
27. Studio photograph of infant on beach shovelling pebbles into a toy bucket, 'Very Busy'. Sent from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones, 'My dear little Victoria What do you think of me. I have got another tooth since last Thursday and am trying to speak as much as I can but I am very cross sometimes ... you are the same with this teething let me know how much have you got. Ive got 4 now ... your little cousin Nellie'.
17 April 1905
28. Coloured studio photograph of children, with hoop, in pierrot costumes. Posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, message below picture, 'Dear-Vi hope you are better Love & Kisses from Babs.'
7 May 1905
29.Coloured photograph, 'Baby's Morning Bath', sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic have you had your bath X am just having my Bath isn't it Lovely. Love & Kisses from Babs'.
14 May 1905
30. Photograph of small child and dog in small barrel, 'Uncomfortable Quarters'. Sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic at last I have got another tooth wont we eat a lot of fruit this summer (we) could not have much last summer. Love & Kisses Babs'. Message below picture, 'Shall we put your dear little pussy in no fear(?)'.
28 May 1905
31. Sentimental collage, 'Watching for Pa', sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic I hope you will Come on the beach to dig in the sand it is Lovely down there. Love & Kisses from Babs.
11 June 1905
32. Studio cat photograph, 'The Princess and the Butterfly', sent from Dolgellau to Baby Jones, 'To Dear Baby Jones from Laura'.
13 June 1905
33. Studio photograph, 'Dolly's Bath', sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Lots of Love & Kisses to Victoria from Babs'.
18 June 1905
34. Coloured photograph, young girl's head and shoulders in hood, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic it was fun to be Caught in the Rain I did enjoy it. Love & Kisses from Babs xxxxx so glad you are better.'
2 July 1905
35. Photograph, 'Dinas Dinlle and Hotel', posted at Llandwrog to Miss Victoria Jones, 'My Dear Victoria, Many thanks for the lovely Present you sent me & I wore it ... had a nice Tea Party and we are staying here since yesterday ... with love and lots of kisses and many thanks & I like your dear bonnet very much Nellie(?)'.
13 July 1905
36. Sentimental picture, 'Soft Persuasion', by Faulkner & Sons of London, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic so glad you are better how nice to be walking all by yourself Love & Kisses from Babs xxxxx'.
16 July 1905
37. Sentimental picture, 'Delicious', by Faulkner & Sons of London, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, ' Dear Vic I have been thinking about your dear little mouth we all hope it is better to day Love & Kisses from Babs xxxxxx'.
23 July 1905
38. Coloured studio portrait of small child with mandolin, sent to Miss Victoria Jones from Cartagena (Esp.). Message below picture, 'with much(?) love from Uncle David'.
27 July 1905
39. Photograph of smiling child with box of sweets, 'Will you have one', sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic We all hope you are better to day hope to see you on the beach love from Babs'.
30 July 1905
40. Coloured photograph of the Rock House Hotel, Llandrindod Wells, sent from there to Victoria Jones, at No. 7 Cambrian Place, pencil written, 'from of W to a friend'.
11 August 1905
41. Studio photograph of child, 'Early to bed and early to rise', sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic This is a lovely day to go for a walk I shall look out for you on the prom Love from Babs'. Message below picture, 'Would you like him for a little Brottar'.
13 August 1905
42. Coloured photograph of Dolecoed Hotel, Llanwrtyd Wells, sent from Builth Wells R.S.O. to Miss Victoria Jones, c/o Wm. H. Jones, Cambrian Place, 'With Kind Regards from your Old Friend J.W.'
18 August 1905
43. Studio photograph of toddler with basket, posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic I hope you are better today. I am all right to day full of fun. Love & Kisses from Babs xxxx'.
20 August 1905
44. Coloured photograph of kittens, 'The Petitioners', posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic I hope you feel much better today. Love & Kisses from Babs xxxxxx'.
27 August 1905
45. Coloured photograph of children in costume enacting a baptismal ceremony, sent from Pwllheli to Miss Victoria Jones. Message below picture, 'My dear Victoria I am enjoying myself in Pwllheli. With love from Nellie.'
1 September 1905
46. Collage effect composite, young children around crashed car, posted in Aberystwyth to Miss V. Jones, 'Dear Vic I hope it will be fine I might see you to day. Love & Kisses from Babs xxx'.
3 September 1905
47. Collage effect composite, young children and dogs around bicycles, posted in Aberystwyth to Miss V. Jones, 'Dear Vic hope we shall be able to go for a walk to day. Love & Kisses from Babs xxxxx.'
10 September 1905
48. Photograph, 'South Beach, Pwllheli', with bathing machines, addressed to Miss Victoria Jones from Bryn Tawl, Pwllheli. 'My dear Victoria received your postcard this morning I am very pleased you are coming to spend a holiday with me. Write to the above address by return of post to let mamma know when are you coming on Saturday for us to meet together to go home in Pwllheli as we are here since a fortnight and will come home perhaps we will come back with you to Aberystwyth remember to write by return of post to let us know. With lots of xxx from Nellie Rhys Hughes'.
12 September 1905
49. Photograph of Town Hall, Caernarfon, sent from Caernarfon to Mr W.H. Jones, 'Dear Dada Just arrived safe I had a little sleep on the way ... mamma & Vic'.
21 September 1905
50. Collage effect composite, young children around cars, posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones at 33 Garnon St., Caernarfon, 'My dear little Vic Your postcard to hand this morning I'm so pleased to hear you arrived safe & that you are enjoying yourself. Heaps of Love & Kisses to you & Mamma from Dad. Love & Kisses to your little Cousin Nellie.'
22 September 1905
51. Photograph of Llanbeblig Church, posted from Caernarfon to Mr W.H. Jones, 'My dear Dada we had your most kind letter today I sent you a letter Saturday hoping you had it today let us know ... Love & Kisses Vic. Babs well'.
25 September 1905
52. Photograph of two children at table, sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones at 33 Garnon St., Caernarfon, 'My Dear Vic I received your post card this morning I was delighted to hear you are better hoping you are enjoying yourself let me know when you are coming home. Love & Kisses to you & Mama from Dad'.
4 October 1905
53. Photograph of child with tall dog, 'Her Guardian'. Sent from Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones at 33 Garnon St., Caernarfon, 'Hoping to see you home on Sunday with Love from Willie'.
54. Coloured photograph of children canoodling in a wheelbarrow, sent from Plaistow to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic, we do hope you are better I am having a fine time lots of love Babs'.
17 October 1905
55. Colour picture of horse, hounds and sickle, posted from Liverpool to Mr W. Jones. Messaged beside picture, 'Vic is posting this in town xxx'.
12 November 1905
56. Coloured sentimental picture of child, 'Loving Christmas Greetings', posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'With lots of love from Babs'.
25 December 1905
57. Colour picture of children playing instruments dressed in pierrot costumes, sent from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Wishing you a happy New Year. My dear Vic many thanks for the nice present you sent ... also mama & dada is going to Dolgellau to compete with the choir tomorrow'.
31 December 1905
58. Sentimental colour picture of child holding jug, 'A busy little maid'. Posted from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Cousin thanks for your card. I wish you a happy new year hoping your father and mother & yourself are quite well - we all send our best love to you from cousins Annie & Jenny, Tithe Barn Street. I hope you enjoyed the chocolate which I sent in aunty's parcel.'
9 January 1906
59. Coloured photograph, Gwyn Llyn, Rhayader, sent from Builth Wells to Miss Victoria Jones, 'I am glad to say am much Better since I have been here. Hoping you are all quite well. so with Best love from J.W.'
13 June 1906
60. Photograph of child with flower arrangement, sent from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones, written in pencil, 'My dear Vic, Many thanks for your nice letter we are coming [...] in fortnight tomorrow Nan Mam + myself. If can't come sooner will write particulars tomorrow I am glad you have three more teeth I am improving better every day love to all Nellie'.
18 June 1906
61. Coloured photograph or Erwood village, sent from Builth Wells to Miss Victoria Jones, c/o W.H. Jones, 'With Best love to all. Hoping you are all Quite well. am much better.'
18 June 1906
62. Coloured photograph of Builth Bridge sent from Builth Wells to Miss Victoria Jones, c/o W.H. Jones, 'Dear Little Friend Best love to you Hoping you are all quite well'.
20 June 1906
63. Sentimental coloured photograph, child with flowers, sent from Nice to Miss Jones. Message under picture, 'With fond love from Uncle David'.
12 August 1906
64. Photograph of reading child distracted by dog, 'An Inattentive Pupil'. Posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic hope you are well thanks for pc hope you and mummer had a nice time and that mamma is better Love and Kisses from Dora xxxxx.'
15 November 1906
65. Coloured photograph of Swansea Town Hall, sent from Liverpool to Mrs. Jones. 'Dear Liz girl - your letter & Vic' lovely photo glad you got home safely. B... is wishing for you ... with lots of love to you all ever yours Mallie'.
16 November 1906
66. Photograph of smiling child with cake, 'Contented'. Posted from Holyhead to Miss V. Jones, 'To wish you many happy returns of the day Dear love from Laura'.
28 February 1907
67. Photograph of seated infant reading, neglected toys at its feet, 'A little scholar'. Posted in Aberystwyth to Miss V. Jones, 'Baby sends you lots of Love on your Birthday Baby xxxxxx'.
68. Coloured photograph, 'Coity Church, near Bridgend', sent from Bridgend to Miss Victoria Jones, 'How are you getting on there we are getting on here slowly. It is miserable here today with Love from J. B.'
21 April 1907
69. Collage effect composite, young children on clouds next to moon, posted in Fleetwood to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Dear Vic we are having glorious weather here. Raining like the D ...'.
6 June 1907
70. Coloured photograph, 'The Park, Carnarvon', posted from Caernarvon to Miss Victoria Jones, 'Kind regards from Maggie xx'.
29 July 1907
71. Sentimental photograph of two children playing at, 'Washing Day', posted in Aberystwyth to Miss Victoria Jones, c/o Mrs R.J. Jones, 'We were very glad to hear you were well & enjoying yourself the weather is lovely now. Trusting the change will do you good. Best love to you & your mamma from the two Misses Morris'.
24 September 1907
72. Studio portrait of three men, posted from Sunderland to W. Jones Esq., 'Dear Will a line from Jack got here safe and doing well. Kind regards your old Pal Jack Re[es?] ... Brother e/c ... Joh[n?] Jones'.
12 August 1910
73. Undated postcard with Edward VII stamp (1901-1910), studio photograph of long-haired cat, 'Landor's Cat Studies (copyright), The Light of the Harem"'. Addressed to Miss Victoria Jones from Aberystwyth, 'Dear Vic is this Kitie your little pussy. Love & kisses from Babs'.
74. Undated postcard with Edward VII stamp (1901-1910), scenic photograph of coastal marshes. Addressed to Mrs Jones from Chapel Town (Leeds?), Please keep the rooms which have been arranged with Miss Morris. We shall arrive in Aberystwyth tomorrow evening. Have sent on luggage to your house today. From E. Blandford.'
75. Photograph of ship tied-up, S.S. City of Chester, sent from Waterloo, Liverpool, to Miss V. Jones, 'We hope you are quite well again thanks very much for presents Eric & Ernie were so pleased with them. We had Uncle Bob home from Newport for Xmas but he is gone again will be home next week. Wish Mamma & Dadda a very happy new year also your Dear self from Us to all. Your affec Auntie Frances.'
31 December 1911
76. Multi-view card of Cardiff sent to Miss Victoria Jones from 38 Ryder St., Cardiff, 'Dear Victoria I am sending this to wish you a Bright & Prosperous New Year. Hope you will like the P.C. Lance ... E.L. Ford'.
1 January 1915
77. Photograph of girl with hoop and dog, 'Hoop La', addressed to Miss V. Jones, 'To wish you many happy Returns of your Birthday Love from Dora xxx'.
78. Tinted photograph, 'S.S. Campania at Landing Stage, Liverpool', addressed to Miss V. Jones, 'Dear Vic very Many happy returns of the day With love from Eric'.
Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting